Barcoo_K375

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Barcoo_K375, Jan 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi !

some years ago I was presented with a "Sausage on a Stick by some submariners off the Andrew, Telemachus, Tabard and Aurocks. Some A...hole knocked it off and I would really like to replace it but have been unable to find anyone who knowws waht I am talking about. I know this badge was not too popular with the crews of these boats. I was in the RAN at the time and attached for the purposes of studying underwater medicine. I was later presented with an Australian badge but it never was the same as the unpopular "Sauasage on a Stick". So if anyone can inform me as to how I can again obtain one I would be greatly appreciative.

Andrew

Copied from blogs (original entry) - post comments here.

2. Re: Sausage on a Stick

Hi !

some years ago I was presented with a "Sausage on a Stick by some submariners off the Andrew, Telemachus, Tabard and Aurocks. Some A...hole knocked it off and I would really like to replace it but have been unable to find anyone who knowws waht I am talking about. I know this badge was not too popular with the crews of these boats. I was in the RAN and attached for the purposes of studying underwater medicine. I was later presented with an Australian badge but it never was the same as the unpopular "Sauasage on a Stick". So if anyone can inform me as to how I can again obtain one I would be greatly appreciative.

Andrew

3. "sausage on a stick"

You mean something that looks like a "snake on a stick"?

Diamantina_K377

4. I was to drafted to the Diamantina in 1962 but took discharge from Navy instead, No it wasn't a snake on a stick. The badge was actually an almost cartoon view of a submarine and the tower looked a bit like the stick. I think at one time it was used as a right arm rate badge (??but not too sure as all I can recall was that the various branches used their usual badges) The sausage may have been permitted as a right arm badge similar to a marksman's or a shallow water diver's badge.
    Thanks for yoyr msg
    Cheers

Andrew

5. Is this or this what you are after?

6. Hi, yes, right badge, wrong colour. The original one I received was the Uniform No.2 (or 1) which was the gold wire version,

Thankyou for your message
    Cheers

Andrew

7. Barco they were a badge that Submariers could wear on their cuff, not sure what side, brought in about 1957, after you had passed your Part 3 Submarine Training. They were not issued but had to be purchased. They never caught on and very few were ever worn or seen. By 1965 when I joined boats they had been consigned to the dustbin of history and the Dolphin brooch came out in about 1971.

Nutty

8. G'day,
    Thanks Nutty for your reply. I think a few of the younger guys used to wear them I think it was just above the cuff on the right arm. The older fellows wouldn't have a bar of them and used to call them a "T...d on a stick.
    A RAN Commander (not in boats) designed the badge now used by both the RN and RAN. Originally the dolphins were silver for sailors and gold for officers. I'm not sure about the RN, but in the RAN gold badges are worn by both.
    Cheers

Barcoo (Andrew)

9. Ah a CUFF rate..mmm I think the Dolphins are a great improvement.

Maybe the Sea Cadets would love to wear one the CUFF rate I mean....