Banking

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by Borman, Aug 1, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello guys,

Looking to move banks, now the bank tells me that they can sort this all out and move everything for me, does this mean I'm going to get paid next month as normal or do I need to speak to someone military about it?

Ben

2. You need to pop in to the UPO and inform your Pay desk

3. Cheers mate, I've just gone on leave any idea where I would go about getting a contact number for them?

4. Not sure if you are in a ship or shore est, but the following is a broad assumption.

You probably need to go to the UPO and make sure you have your new account number and sort code and bank address on hand, so you can make sure your direct deposit goes to the right place.

Im sure it can be done in JPA and maybe someone will see this post and tell you how. Since you asked the question I'm assuming you haven't been access to JPA yet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I would check with your new and old banks as they usually give a months leeway to allow for problems. When I did it I kept both open for a month or so until the dust settled.

6. I think thats standard procedure for the bank to allow cheques drawn (remember them) to clear and any all direct debits or standing orders to transfer to the new account. Then they have a tax reporting requirement to keep the data for a couple of years.

7. Call the main gate of your establishment and pray the binder with all the good phone numbers on it hasn't been used to prop up the TV.
    That or cough to which base you are at and maybe someone will know it/can look it up.

8. As you're at Collingwood, there is a duty Civvy writer on hand between 0900 and 1500. Call MOD Exchange and ask for Collingwood UPO Duty Phone. MOD Exchange is 02392 722351

9. I have switched banks a couple of times with no problem to my pay. I suggest considering the timing though. I have always done it as soon after a pay day as possible to allow any time for changing detail in JPA etc. Last time I simply changed the bank details in JPA. Didn't need to go to the UPO.

10. Funnily enough, that is exactly what was supposed to happen upon the introduction of JPA. However, because it was broke, the writers still did the legwork and, even though this feature can now be used, the perception is that it's still down to the UPO.

The amazed faces you get, when you show them that they can make such a change is either like discovering the Ark of the Covenant or the mind has exploded and leaving a drooling mental case behind.

I normally get the latter. I reason it as follows: a helpful writer? "Booom!"

11. Not sure if this helpful in any way, I imagine that your issue is long sorted but I swapped banks last August using the current account switchover guarantee thing and completely forgot about my pay etc. It wasn't until 2 or 3 months later I got a bank statement from my old bank showing that my wages had been getting automatically transferred across, thankfully!

Eventually got round to sorting it out and found that it was a nightmare doing it on JPA, particularly putting in your new sort code, so I had to fill out a few forms and get a writer to sort it.