Banking advice -Barclays Credit Cards!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by TheAaronP, Oct 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello guys

Just a quick one, my Step Brother is in Afgan right now (He's a Marine), he has got a Barclays Credit Card, his direct debit was stopped (for some unknown reason) which means the minimum monthly amount won't be paid.

As he's out there, he can't really pick up the phone and call Barclays and arrange to set up the direct debit again, or pay his minimum amount by phone etc.

Hes out there for 7 months.

Basically the long and the short of it is that he cannot arrange this sort of stuff out there.

So they keep ringing the house, and my Father keeps speaking to them, and said that he is willing to sort it out and pay whatever money needs to be paid etc but they refuse to speak to him or his Mother (Data Protection Act).

So the situation is, that he has a credit card he needs to pay (and will need to pay every month for the next 7 months whilst hes deployed) and is unable to do so because of the nature of his deployment. His Mother has said to Barclays she will pay etc but they refuse to speak to anyone but him.

How do we sort this out?

2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Make the payments via internet banking. If you have his account number and payment reference (this will be on the back of his statements) you can simply make the minimum payments every month- and make sure he pays you back!

I had similar when my wife was in Afghanistan but Lloyds have a dedicated armed forces department, not much use to be honest as they seemed to be powerless but at least they listened to me and this is the advice they gave.

3. The problem is that Barclaycard have the most ridiculous online banking system I've ever seen - you need 2 relatively random numbers to log in and it's an awful interface once you get there. I used to have a MorganStanley card but that all came under Barclaycard recently. I'll be changing provider asap.

Having said that, I don't think any other company would be better regarding telephone calls. They can only talk to the cardholder, unless power of attorney is handed over.

His Dad could write a cheque and post it with the slip in the posted statement though, surely?

4. Possibly Doc, im honestly not too sure, i think possibly the best way is to transfer funds over online giving the reference number etc, do you think that'd work?

5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

You don't need to use Barclay's system to make a payment. On the back of any bill there is an option to pay by standing order, bill payment or telephone and internet banking. Barclay's credit services account number and sort code will be written down there and as a reference you put the card number in so they know whose account needs to be paid. You then make a transfer from your online bank account filling in all these details.

6. Chief, we'll do it online and transfer the cash that way. Thanks for your advice!

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

All your family need do is tell him get in touch direct via email, weekly freebie satellite phonecall or even forward his Barclaycard bill by post and he could probably even sort it online.

There's nothing stopping your brother writing to Barclaycard and asking for a direct debit mandate to be sent to him in Afghanistan if all else fails.

The rear party at his UK unit are available for advice in such instances. The bottom line is that the chores and responsibilities of day to day living are not suspended or absolved because we are "serving our country", rightly or wrongly and the fact he's many miles away does not mean he is uncontactable.

8. Unusual a credit card having a direct debit to enable monthly balances
    to be paid. The monthly pay back is usually by statement pay slip each month-giving various minimum payment details and interest.
    As mentioned to pay into a credit card account you need the account number /card number and bank details of who to pay and how much to pay !!!

You can make direct debit payments from a credit card

Possible the Credit card controller has noted some unusual activity on the guys purchases /uses and wants to verify that its not being misused.If hes used the card in sandy places it could set alarm bells ringing !!

:nemo: :nemo:

9. Greenie, its the "minimum" payment you pay each month which you can arrange to pay by DD mate.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Have to say one that amused me a few years back was the well intentioned family of a serviceperson that indignantly stormed their ACIO because their son/daughter had received a court summons for non-payment of a parking ticket received on leave prior to deployment overseas.

They felt that because he/she was operationally deployed, that the law should not apply, the fine should be waived & that it was the Army's job to tell the court just that.

Worth a shot, I s'pose.....

11. We've found a lot of companies are sympathetic to deployed family members, and a lot of the time they are more relaxed. But yes, rightly said just because you are deployed it does not mean that everything else can be put on hold.

12. Ninja_Stoker

It's not easy for either side to be honest. One's a business, albeit a billion pound multinational, the other is the customer that has agreed to pay for a service.

The Bank knows it would get a backlash of media condemnation if it dared threaten legal action against "One of Our Boys" (as the Currant Bun would have it), but likewise some of "Our Boys" know this and batter the plastic before deploying.

13. As has been previously said, if your parents know your brother's account number then they can pay his credit card bill - they may even be able to pay at a branch if they haven't got internet banking.

It may be worth your brother writing to Barclays allowing Barclays to talk to your parents about his account, which would get around the Data Protection Act.

14. I work for a major lender (no names but massive american conglomerate that starts with G and ends with E).

In our company there are definate issues however we are sympathetic. I suggest the chap in question writes in to request third party authorisation (may need to give some details of third party, name, dob and a password, etc) and that should be fine.

Alternatively, don't know whether this is the case with barclaycard but you may be able to make a payment, however barclays won't be able to discuss account dets with you, ie how much is owed- open his mail or speak to him to find out.

If the worst comes to the worst, so long as said bootneck can pay the amount owed at time of coming back, any late payment charges may be removed.

I'm always ultra sympathetic to servicemen and women but that's just because I am a reservist myself.