Bandsmen Wearing Commando Beret

danny

War Hero
I believe the one you are referring to is the black commando dagger in a green square? This is worn on the right sleeve as a TRF for those serving with commando units. A bit like Pegasus for those who served with 5 Airborne or the screaming budgie for those serving with 16 Air Assault Brigade.

I don't believe it has been ditched to be honest. I've seen guys in FAD (No 2's) with it on their left arm and seen it on plenty of mess kits. Maybe they've just stopped wearing it on normal working dress. I don't really know to be honest.

Everyone Commando trained or not wears the green and black dagger I wore it for years myself and have never been on the course. At one point Army commandos were wearing a dagger on each arm one red one black and two Army commando mud guards. But now or at least on H14 on combats they have ditched the red dagger. But keep it for No1s and 2s etc I think?

Somebody else mentioned about the dagger switching sides I believe it is so on ops everyone has the ISAF badge on the same arm, or that is what we were told last year.

MightyBigEgo

Midshipman
SJRM_RN I was the muppet who posted on Arrse about the promotion to sgt doing the AACC. I have firmly been put back in my box but I when I was a teen (early 90s) and I was getting extra lessons from a Bandy Sgt so I could apply for the band service, he told me he had to the AACC to get promoted. As he then got invalided out due to the bombing I had no reason to doubt him especially as I would have have found out soon enough. Hey ho.

Last edited:
I

In_my_day

SJRM_RN I was the muppet who posted on Arrse about the promotion to sgt doing the AACC. I have firmly been put back in my box but I when I was a teen (early 90s) and I was getting extra lessons from a Bandy Sgt so I could apply for the band service, he told me he had to the AACC to get promoted. As he then got invalided out due to the bombing I had no reason to doubt him especially as I would have have found out soon enough. Hey ho.
In a former life I was the CI on the SCC, we took both band JCC & SCC. I can assure everyone that I never saw a single bandy attend any course that was capable of passing the AACC! Quote " Colours, is it ok if I don't dig a trench 'cos I've got a gig on Saturday and I don't want to hurt my fingers?" "Of course" says I "see that 2 tonne of hardcore by the gate[of the meg range], move it to the other side of the gate around the sentry position!" Yeh I know, they aren't all the same, some have lumps, they go on ops, play a mean cymbal (but are still in the main part of a professional organisation that gets away [used to get away] with murder in terms of billets, money and drafts for the favoured few).

On the point of Buglers, iirc many joined younger than the musicians and when they got to the 17.5 or 18 yo point were they not offered the opportunity to transfer to GS? Stix M*******w was my DL in trg and he had done just that.

IMD

hoofing

green lid

In a former life I was the CI on the SCC, we took both band JCC & SCC. I can assure everyone that I never saw a single bandy attend any course that was capable of passing the AACC! Quote " Colours, is it ok if I don't dig a trench 'cos I've got a gig on Saturday and I don't want to hurt my fingers?" "Of course" says I "see that 2 tonne of hardcore by the gate[of the meg range], move it to the other side of the gate around the sentry position!" Yeh I know, they aren't all the same, some have lumps, they go on ops, play a mean cymbal (but are still in the main part of a professional organisation that gets away [used to get away] with murder in terms of billets, money and drafts for the favoured few).

On the point of Buglers, iirc many joined younger than the musicians and when they got to the 17.5 or 18 yo point were they not offered the opportunity to transfer to GS? Stix M*******w was my DL in trg and he had done just that.

IMD

Evening ladies
as far as i know the green lid was complimentary even when i was cadet back in the 70s all staff from sgt up wards was a reserve and all marine cadet instructors had to wear green lids (what changed).
Considering most people now know that wearing a blue lid your a nod, and wearing a green lid you get the up most respect.
Now i'm not trying to take away all that hard work that the guys have to go through to get it, but i know when i was a cadet i had more respect from my instructor when he was wearing the green lid even if it was complimentary

tentoes

War Hero
Evening ladies
as far as i know the green lid was complimentary even when i was cadet back in the 70s all staff from sgt up wards was a reserve and all marine cadet instructors had to wear green lids (what changed).
Considering most people now know that wearing a blue lid your a nod, and wearing a green lid you get the up most respect.
Now i'm not trying to take away all that hard work that the guys have to go through to get it, but i know when i was a cadet i had more respect from my instructor when he was wearing the green lid even if it was complimentary

Welcome Hoofing, of course you realise we are not at home to Mr Byte, don't you?:thumbup:

Bandies now do the first 15 weeks of Recruit training? That's got to be a good thing.

How does it work with the Female band recruits, do they join a Female batch of baby sailors at Raleigh or does the band wait until there's enough female recruits so they get there own grot at CTC and do they do the introductry fieldcraft exersise, "Twostep" etc?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I think you could have phrased that last sentence a bit better Stix, unless your trying to tell us something!

tentoes

War Hero
Interesting post ...

A few points that it throws up:

You say that you never saw a single bandy who was capable of passing AACC[!], but further on you show an example of a 'bandy' who passed the RM Cdo course - are you saying that AACC is harder than the GD course? (I can also name a few 'Bandies' who have transferred, successfully, to the GD Corps.

I have never known a Bandy to be on any gig whilst undertaking a command course of any flavour, it never has happened and never will; as with the GD Corps you are assigned (drafted, in old money) to the course.

I will agree that, in the past, there has been some perceived favouritism in terms of drafting but I, and many others (including a number GD RMs), could also say the same for the GD Corps.

We have all heard the horror stories of the grizzly, old instructors at CTC and how they took great pleasure in beasting the living daylights out of anyone and everyone ("because that's how it was in my day and it never did me any harm" :roll: ), fortunately today's Corps is a little more intelligent in the way that it drafts people; no longer is CTC full of the G1 nightmares that no-one else wanted. Thankfully these days, in the main, instructors at CTC are either picked for the job because of their high professional standards and abilities or are there by personal request, for the same reasons.

The paragraph above may contain some sweeping generalisations, but we are all guilty of that, aren't we? (many a time i've heard the phrase 'all bandies are poofs', including from the mouths of some of the old and grizzly instructors previously mentioned).

Where you a bandy in a past life SJRM_RN?

tentoes

War Hero
No flies on Tentoes..... :)

Doh.:grin: That did sound very bone of me, I was just asking so as not to assume. My assumption was Bandy, GD Corps and the RN/career service? There may well be flies on me now.:rabbit:

I do think I must have served in a different "GD Corps" to most other people at times!:grin:

Latest Threads