Bandsmen Wearing Commando Beret

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by MightyBigEgo, Jul 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy Badgeman Moderator

You beat me over. :)

Plus:

Did the band wear green lids prior to the Deal bombing?

2. Due to the time scale of your query (87-08 is my time scale), I have popped the question to the old and bold on another means, I'll get back to you with the answer as soon as they get back to me.

Cheers Ten.

3. If a bandy did pass it. Plenty of other people do it without a real need to so its not that unrealistic that someone could one day get on a course. What shoulder flash would they wear on combats seen as everyone wears *insert arm* commando flashes now. Would they be able to wear Royal Marine commando one?

4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Jimbo, is it not the case then that ALL bandies used to have to do the commando course? Reason I ask is that I had a cousin who joined (probably 85) and I swear he told me that this was the case.

5. No its not the case, however should they not cut the mustard (musically) apparently they can opt to go into mainstream Cdo training as a consolation. 8O

Maybe your cousin was a triangle biff, thus having to go for the second prize and covered it up by saying ALL the band have to do Commando training? Don't hold it against him the shame must have been horrendous for him.

6. I think I remember hearing (around 1990) that Buglers did Commando Course but Musicians did not. This was the reason that Buglers have a thin red line on their trousers and Musicians have a fat one. Probably got rid of this requirement around the same time they started to let females join maybe?

7. Is the dagger even a recognised badge any more? The red one im talking about I mean booties and RN cdos dont wear it. Seems to be limited to just pongos now, and last year on H14 the brigade banned it going just with the flashes instead.

8. I've seen the dagger still warn by RN Commando's not just on their no 1's either.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. I think Danny is referring to the Commando badge worn by the Army, usually red on black, tapered badge on left sleeve. I believe this badge has now been ditched in favour of the "Army Commando" mudguard - My own personal opinion: it looks a bit gash and if I was a Cdo trained rank in the Army I'd be threaders if I had to remove my dagger for this new badge.

Tommo, there is only 2 places a matelot should display a Cdo dagger: On their No 1s if Cdo qualified and on their PCS(MTP) if part of 3 Cdo Bde (With Royal Navy Commando mudguard on the shoulder if qualified)

10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Bandies doing the Commando course? Jeez they're not even allowed to join up with the rest of the great unwashed incase we corrupt them and they start doing bad things like fart infront of the ladies.

The Lympstone band used to be allowed to wear the green lid until it was pointed out they were'nt entitled to it. This must have been early 90's. I remember one bandy using the green lid as a seat warmer for his push bike as I breezed into CTC for a course just after the order had been given not to wear them. **** I wanted to punch his lights out but never got the chance. As a rule Bandies wear (or wore) the white and red peaked cap. Only once came across a bandy "walting" it up as a commando. That was on HMS Victory. He was giving it large to some girlies (fair enough) bandy shoulder tags and a green lid being the hero. When three off duty real RM commandos (half pissed) rocked up he soon crawled under a rock. If a member of the Royal Marines Band Service wants to wear a beret it's a blue one with red backing for the Globe and buster cap badge.

11. What !! Bandies weren't trained killers ???? Dam' !!! We baby sailors used to tread very carefully around the Bandies during basic training .... ;)

12. What week do they do Picallo training again?

13. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I believe the one you are referring to is the black commando dagger in a green square? This is worn on the right sleeve as a TRF for those serving with commando units. A bit like Pegasus for those who served with 5 Airborne or the screaming budgie for those serving with 16 Air Assault Brigade.

I don't believe it has been ditched to be honest. I've seen guys in FAD (No 2's) with it on their left arm and seen it on plenty of mess kits. Maybe they've just stopped wearing it on normal working dress. I don't really know to be honest.

14. tiddlyoggy

Haha, cheers TT. I don't think he was a biff, musically I think he was quite gifted, went in as a drummer/bugler. He has, however always considered himself harder than he actually was. We've all met the type, gets involved in a lot of fights; loses a lot of fights!

15. tiddlyoggy

Out of curiosity; I assume that the bandies of the 80's, as well as their contemporary counterparts, do undertake some form of military skills training? Is their wartime role still that of stretcher bearer/medic?

16. Yes, from talking to a couple on Argus their training was around 15 weeks. On argus their primary role was working in the hospital alongside the nurses as assistants.

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

17. Call me Mr Picky, 3 Cdo Bde badge is now worn left sleeve. No idea why they changed.

You are correct, I should have specified that the mudguard has replaced the badge only on PCS(MTP)

18. Yes I think you'll find in order for them to carry out rear duties in support of the Bde, they are trained up to the same standards as the RAF Reg and therefore can lace up military style boots and find the NAAFI/Camp shop in pairs unsupervised.:thumbright:

• Like Like x 2