Bandies

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by danny, Feb 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do the bandies get to wear the green beret or not? am i right in thinking they dont do the 32 week traing?

2. No Danny they dont. As far as i remember the bandies do the first 15 weeks at CTC then get sent to Deal. However Deal has been closed for a number of years now so i'm unsure what happens.

3. The bandies now do their band training at HMS Nelson.

Always wondered if any bandy did the All Arms Course to entitle them to wear the Green Beret.

4. yeah there at nelson makes me laugh when you see them marching round in ones

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Seen lots of Bandies over the years, yet to see one with a green hat. Doesn't mean the odd one hasn't gone through. With their medical orderlies' heads on they may be threaders to see Commando qualified MAs and Doctors alongside them.

But I'd never mock. Bandies are more Corps Pissed than any Commando and (as our American cousins would say) a proud part of our military/naval heritage.

6. Why?

7. Got a mate who is a bandie and told me once that they used to get the green lid without doing the full 32 week course, however this have now been changed and if they want the green lid they do the full course.

It is optional though.

8. That was true phil, think the people who sweated blood sweat and tears were a tad pissed off so it was changed

9. Yes the Bandies used to get a complimnetary Green Lid, but this changed.

However, they are without doubt one of the finest military bands in the world. The music they play boosts your pride.

Regards

Green Death

10. Bandies waste of time, outsource them to a local brass band or even Serco, sodexho like all the rest of the second line jobs. Totally superfluous
    lets spend our money Operational commitment.

11. Copenhagen Cup, Of course and while we are at it:

Get rid of No 1 Uniform,
    Saluting Officers
    Marching
    Military Hospitals (sorry, done that)
    Remembrance Sunday

All complete distractions from operational commitment.

NOT!!!

12. You must be off your rocker. No RM Band on divisions, what we going to listen to? How can you march past to a tape recording of RAP music. What about the magic band concerts we used to get on the carriers, gave the junior rates a chance to get a few extra tinnies. Better we get rid of the officer stewards than the bootie band! :twisted:

13. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I do hope your joking, if not your a nob.

The bandies used to wear the green lid, this was stopped in the 80's with only the band of her "magestys royal marine commandos" being allowed to wear it, this to was stopped later and I remember Bandies at ctc having to swap over to the blue beret with red patch and them getting the hump with this desicion and using a green lid as a butt warmer on there bicycles, which understandably didn't go down to well. fine musicians.

14. **** it! Let's go the whole hog. Civilianise the armed forces.

15. No matter how much I used to whinge about having to press my best suit, bull my shoes/boots, the moment I heard "March on the Guard!", and the RM Band burst into "Hearts of Oak", the hairs rose on the back of my neck.

And I defy anyone to say it wasn't so.

16. Out of interest can female bandies do the commando course?

As for getting rid of the RM band, let's also get rid of the chapliancy service, the field gun run, RN participation at festivals of remembrance and HMS Victory - because none of these things contribute to operational effectiveness and therefore are of absolutely no value. Right? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

17. And while we're at it dump the cooks and stewards (serve cold food which we bring ourselves from home) the rest of the 'logs and sticks' department. Sell the air conditioning (don't need that stuff up the Gulf) sell off the heaters (don't need that in the Falklands) Switch off the television and radios, cancel the postal service.......

give all to operational efficiancy - right!

Oh yes and cancel leave and runs ashore, get rid of beds bunks etc, and return your bedding, you don't need it, sleep at your action station, shut the heads and showers - certainly don't need to clean anything...Operational deficiancy is ALL

18. Bandies waste of time, outsource them to a local brass band or even Serco, sodexho like all the rest of the second line jobs. Totally superfluous
    lets spend our money Operational commitment

Lets not forget that the bandies In places of trouble as medics strtcher bearers and indeed do fight.So basicaly you are talking a load of tripe ||

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

This has got to be bite, dont get reeled in!