Balls, balls, effing balls!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kitsunegari, Feb 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Damn!

Had my medical today, stressful experience and all that. However, as you can probably tell by the title, I didn't pass. Worse still is that I didn't fail either. Due to, can you believe, a build-up of EAR WAX, one of the tests could not be administered (looking at my ear drum) and so I'm left stranded now in a position where I passed every other test but now have to resolve this problem and take that one final test in a few weeks time.

I've always had problems with ear wax (been syringed thrice) but FFS! I'm getting frustrated and downbeat about everything now. I also feel highly embarrassed and am dreading the conversation I'm going to have with my AFCO about this.

'Yes, ma'am, an excess of ear wax 'e said.'

If it isn't a first then I'm amazed.
  2. no way on earth is that going to be a first.

now stop f*cking whining and google 'personal hygeine'
  3. It's hardly a hygiene problem, and one often related to stress, like in a process such as this. My doctor has also forbidden me from using ear buds to clean my ears as this leads to the wax being driven farther in and obstructing my ears. I have ever since my last syringe been on ear drops + olive oil (olive oil?) but clearly it doesn't work.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Aah, then old "ear wax" diagnosis. A common medical euphemism for gonorrhea.

AngryDoc will be along shortly with a healthy dose of TLC... :wink:
  5. Unlucky mate. Hope they can sort something out for you.
  6. I dont mean to be, how can i put this... Oh Fcuk it.

You are told on the letter that you recieve RE the medical that your ears must be free of ear wax, and to make sure they are before you arrive on the day!
  7. Was it both ears that were waxed?

If not which one?
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The issue, if your lugs are clogged with gunge, is that the Medical Examiner cannot ascertain whether your tympanic membrane is intact at that time despite the hearing test.

Simply go to your GP surgery & ask the practice nurse to have a shufty to see if they can see the membranes are intact. If they are, a simple letter from your Doc to ours is all that's required - if they cannot be seen then seek advice from your GP on what is required to make it so - often it maybe just ear-drops.

It's hardly the end of the world & happens in my AFCO a couple of times a month.
  9. i had an ear wax problem a few years ago, i just went to the chemist and got some drops to thin the wax out.....simples if olive oil is not working try telling your doctor.

that is just my experience but im sure angry doc can give better advice
  10. Never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear
  11. That rules out JJ's manhood then....
  12. My oppo started getting ear wax. It polished his career off. His car looked nice though.
  13. Just out of interest - for the various AFCO careers advisors who loiter in these parts - will this delay/reset (in terms of the waiting times) my application? I'm not especially bothered by a delay because I'm not somebody who has to have everything done for me right now - I'm setting a two year wait just to keep my sense of perspective reasonable, with anything less being a bonus. However, I do like to do the maths in my head and try and work out 'where I am' so to speak.

I am presuming it will delay everything? 8)

To be honest I can't complain too much because my 1.5m times have been rubbish lately and the extra weeks should be a bonus. Just as an aside, in terms of my earlier 'weight issues' I just scraped past the underweight category with the doctor saying I needed my BMI to be more than 18 - 18.11 was mine.
  14. No

15. Splendid. Absolutely splendid :thumbleft:
  16. It is not rocket science, put your penis on a block of wood and hit it with a mallet

The wax will shoot out of your ears.
  17. Just on another point, I haven't had any contact with my AFCO about this yet and I was wondering if I should contact them? I presume they'll have been informed of what has happened by the medical centre, and if I was to contact them I'd be providing them with little more than they already have. Yet at the same time I'm wondering if I should maintain contact - a wonder that is conflicting with the sense that I might come across as needlessly wasting their time with pointless information - a la Facebook updates from people who are apparently having toast (though I personally hate Facebook).

If anyone cares, my doctor just said 'use sodium bicarbonate ear drops' in a record 47 second appointment. Seems that the wax is in the wrong place rather than there being an actual epic build-up.

Thrilling stuff, eh? :wink:
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Once your lugs are cleared & the doc can see the eardrum you can be passed fit for entry & move forward with the application.

If you ring the AFCO before being passed fit for entry & tell them your ears are blocked, they are only likely to reply: "Eh?"
  19. Sorry - missed this thread due to it's rather nonspecific title.

Wax in ears - completely agree with your GP regarding ear buds - they get some out but ram the rest of it against the drum, risking perforation. The old saying is "the smallest thing you should put into your ear is your elbow".

There are loads of drops available, or many GP practice nurses syringe wax out of ears.

You're being pretty melodramatic - relax. It's not the end of the world!
  20. ear wax is not a reason to get embarressed or mad about - stupid you didnt get em cleaned but hey ho and all that.

being told you have to small a cock to join up as you'll never satisfy any wrens with that as they all have wizard sleeve, wind sock, gunts.

now thats embarressing - not me of course i'm hung like a donkey or maybe a monkey