Bailiffs' New Powers To Grab Goods

polariod

Lantern Swinger
This is not an entirely new concept. The law may have changed over the last few years but a Water Bailiff, in my neck of Scotland at least, could enter a private property with out a warrant whereas a Policeman had to be invited in.

Pol

I think that for too long the law has been just too much on the side of the debtor, probably due to the fact that when much of the law was written most debtors were of the ruling classes rather than the working classes. This though does seem to over correct.

The balance between protecting the creditor and protecting the debtor is a delicate one and it would appear at first look as if like much of our current legislation, this has failed to find the sensible middle ground.

slim

War Hero
Though I believe that most people end up in debt mainly because of their inability to control their finances, I also believe that banks and other financial institutions have not been playing fair. For too many new credit cards have been too easily obtained. We have had computerised exchange of information for long enough now for institutions to know the state of their customers finances. Why then still issue new credit cards to those already substantially in debt?
Time for the banks to admit that they have got it wrong in far too many cases

slim said:
Though I believe that most people end up in debt mainly because of their inability to control their finances, I also believe that banks and other financial institutions have not been playing fair. For too many new credit cards have been too easily obtained. We have had computerised exchange of information for long enough now for institutions to know the state of their customers finances. Why then still issue new credit cards to those already substantially in debt?
Time for the banks to admit that they have got it wrong in far too many cases
I think you will find banks make far less use of Bailif services than other organisations such as councils and lower level credit providers. Banks are often quite willing to do a deal on debt which involves them writing of some ot the debt, yourlocal friendly concil on the other hand waits until things have got out of hand then calls in the bailifs without trying to reach some form of agreement.

Banks do allow for bad debt and structure their business accordingly, many others use the bailifs as frighteners to keep the majority in line.

They are normaly full of hot air in my experience. My ex skipped the country leaving some debt and I have had all kinds of threats to my property but when I ring them up and tell them I don't know where she went they just apologise and say theu won't send letters anymore. Then they do.
One of her debts went from the credit card company to 3 seperate recovery agents, one said they would send bailiffs, I'd like to see that, they have got 2 hopes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Body-worn cameras to curb aggressive bailiffs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Crackdown to stop rogue bailiffs making lives a misery MoD News 0
DemobJob Trainee Enforcement Agents, Officers, Bailiffs - UK Wide The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
MoD_RSS New stop and search powers for convicted knife criminals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Police given new powers to tackle hostile state activity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New powers and framework to help contain coronavirus (COVID-19) locally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Investigatory Powers Commissioner to oversee UK-US Data Access Agreement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New powers for councils to keep cyclists safe MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New police powers to tackle hostile state activity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Councils given new powers to hold public meetings remotely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Police given new powers and support to respond to coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health Secretary announces strengthened legal powers to bolster public health protections against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New powers to Scotland and sustainable fishing at the heart of new Bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New powers for the police to enforce drone laws MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government gives police new powers to protect victims of stalking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator publishes conclusion to intervention and enforcement powers consultation MoD News 0
slim Police will get powers to arrest travellers and seize caravans if they set up illegal campsites on private or public land Current Affairs 17
MoD_RSS Government consults on new police powers to criminalise unauthorised encampments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Investigatory Powers Commissioner appointed: Sir Brian Leveson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Universities regulator gains full powers to protect students’ interests MoD News 0
Maxpowers The Trials and Tribulations of Max esquire Powers The Fleet Air Arm 137
MoD_RSS Press release: New powers to fine firms that exploit consumer loyalty MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Environment Agency uses new powers to tackle illegal waste site MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Greater powers for police to use stop and search to tackle violent crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New powers to investigate stillbirths MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Forensic Science Regulator calls for statutory enforcement powers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: backdating powers now available for civil cases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Police to get more stop and search powers to tackle acid attacks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Charity regulator makes robust use of new enforcement powers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New police powers to tackle illegal use of drones MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Investigatory Powers Tribunal appeals route introduced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Safeguards governing investigatory powers come into effect MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary hails UK-led effort to bolster OPCW attribution powers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Investigatory Powers Commissioner appointed: Lord Justice Fulford MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK powers up Albania defence partnership MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Review of bulk powers published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Investigatory Powers Bill published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Home Secretary introduces draft Investigatory Powers Bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: Home Secretary: Publication of draft Investigatory Powers Bill MoD News 0
soleil DefPro: "Upgrade For Royal Navy Minehunters Powers Ahead" The Fleet 0
A powers that be. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
FunkyJunky lets say....the powers want to cut 30k personnel Current Affairs 3
Lynx101 powers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Sapphire Super Powers, Super Hero Diamond Lil's 13
K You can trust us, we won't abuse the powers... Current Affairs 10
chinamatelot Brown curbing PM powers Current Affairs 12
creddly Plans To Extend Police Anti Terror Powers Current Affairs 66
Maxi_77 Scots Land Grab Diamond Lil's 29