Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by stirlingmw, Feb 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this is in the wrong section peeps, a mate of mine has just asked me a question about badges. He has just been issued C95's and was wondering what side does the "royal navy" tally go on and where does the RN TRF go. I am not sure myself as I have never had to sew badges on mine.

2. The simplest solution is not to wear the bloody thing. If people can't spot your rank badge or read Royal Navy on the slide, they must be blind. It's ony the brown jobs that get fussed about it anyway.

For what it's worth, they have their multicolour swap shop TRFs on their right upper sleeve.
  3. Bloody hell, now I know I'm an old duffer as I have absolutley no idea what you are on about.
  4. I'm sure you'll be told pretty sharpish, by the Reggies, if you get 'em wrong !!

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There is nothing laid down in BR81 about where they are displayed, so officially they are not to be worn. However...

Common practice dictates that the the "ROYAL NAVY" tally is worn across the left chest pocket (in lieu of the name tape) and the RN TRF flash is worn on the left upper arm, below the shoulder.

But as the RN is not a 'regiment' then there is no requirement to wear these ebellishments; name tally and Rank/Rate epaulette will suffice.
  6. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

There was a DIN out about this one. The RN TRF is to be worn on the right arm about three fingers down and the ROYAL NAVY tag above the right pocket.
  7. I thought it was right side aswell, all of our TRF's (Army) are on the right, as with the RAF.
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...hence the confusion! So perhaps it would be best not to display it? Or at least wait until you are 'in theatre' and go with the flow? :?