BAE: "How To Launch A Ship Without Making A Splash"

I'm sorry but that has taken all the fun out of a launch. No lady in a big hat hoping to crack a bottle of cheap Cava across the bows on the wettest day of the year so far. No anxious looking dockies peering over the side hoping all those chains will provide enough braking before the ship hits the wall on the other side of the shipyard. I n fact nothing the laugh at at all:(

I'm sorry but that has taken all the fun out of a launch. No lady in a big hat hoping to crack a bottle of cheap Cava across the bows on the wettest day of the year so far. No anxious looking dockies peering over the side hoping all those chains will provide enough braking before the ship hits the wall on the other side of the shipyard. I n fact nothing the laugh at at all:(
Now you have done it , enter PT and others mewling about us PSOF's destroying this site with our views on yesteryear. :)

"No such thing as a Free Launch :WINK: "

IIRC, with all due ceremony, one of our early nucs launched into the Walney Channel ploughed straight into the muddy bank opposite where she remained firmly stuck for several hours...*

Meanwhile, try a few other less-than-satisfactory launches:

*!Found it:

<<HMS Repulse was one of two Resolution-class ballistic missile submarines ordered from Vickers-Armstrongs on 8 May 1963, with a further two ordered from Cammell Laird the same day. Repulse was laid down at Vickers Armstrongs' Barrow-in-Furness shipyard on 12 March 1965 and was launched on 4 November 1967, running aground in the Walney Channel during the launch, although she was undamaged and successfully floated off on the next high tide.

She commissioned on 28 September 1968. While she was planned to be the third of her class, delays with the build of HMS Renown at Cammell Laird's Birkenhead shipyard meant that Repulse overtook Renown and was commissioned second of class.[
She was the last of her class remaining in service with the navy, decommissioning in 1996. >>WIKI

Latest Threads