Bad England

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
I wonder how many school leavers use txt spk on their job application forms. I also wonder how many actually get jobs despite their lack of ability to read and write. This is not to knock those that genuinely suffer from dyslexia, but text speak is deliberate and to use it in any situation other than that which it was designed for is a mark of laziness and a disregard for those who have to read the bloody gobbledygook.

It seems to me that bad spelling and bad speaking has become the accepted norm, especially by the educational establishment, and this attitude has been reflected in the government's plan to drop the requirement to actually speak a foreign language (already covered in a different thread) in order to pass the exam. Once again, dumbing down of education innit.

How long will it be before all school exams become multi-choice? "Congratulations little Timmy, you've got 20% right. That's an A* for you. Off you go to uni."

mikh

MIA
Sapphire said:
I fail to see why the Education system should be wholly to blame. How many of you have children do you encourage them to read, do you take them to the library do you get them to write letters to grandparents. It is all too easy to say it is the fault of teachers, the internet or mobile phones.

Although I have to say I crinch when I see people writing on here and they cannot even be bothered to use a capital I. Tsk Tsk!

Yes, yes and yes. We encourage our 9 year son to do all of these.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think that Pusser has also had a
hand in the dumbing down of spelling.

I seem to remember that, in the early 60's, there was an AFO that gave
all Sparkers and Bunting Tossers a license to use the American form for
spelling words like Harbour, Colour etc.

I found the American method of spelling quite foreign and, even today,
still feel a degree of annoyance when my Spell checker tries to force
Americanese into my missives.

Jerry

slim

War Hero
Jerry_Hatrick said:
If my memory serves me correctly, I think that Pusser has also had a
hand in the dumbing down of spelling.

I seem to remember that, in the early 60's, there was an AFO that gave
all Sparkers and Bunting Tossers a license to use the American form for
spelling words like Harbour, Colour etc.

I found the American method of spelling quite foreign and, even today,
still feel a degree of annoyance when my Spell checker tries to force
Americanese into my missives.

Jerry

Ah America and England/ Two countries separated by a common language.

Don87

Lantern Swinger
Hahaha. Do you know how old you people sound? I can just imagine the rickety old man voices: "Back in my day...ect. ect."

Your theories are total BS. Half of the posts here are riddled with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, including the people professing the stupidity of the "youth of today".

It is not a modern problem, or an issue solely involved with "today's youth". It makes no difference if you are 15, 32 or 85 years old...there are simply some people who can spell/punctuate well and some who cannot.

The people in my old Higher English class were writing 1000s of words every single day, and you were strongly penalised for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. You cannot pass your exams spelling badly, you will fail.

So quit sounding like ridiculous old men with some single track mindset that all of todays "youth" are being dumbed down. Your elders probably said the EXACT same thing.

AfterSSE

War Hero
RDIAENG.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe. ceehiro.

http://www.languagehat.com/archives/000840.php

Can be read, so even if spelling sucks and grammar is bad, as long as the person doing the reading is intelligent enough, you should be able to make it out.. :dwarf:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Don87 said:
Hahaha. Do you know how old you people sound? I can just imagine the rickety old man voices: "Back in my day...ect. ect."

As an "old fart" can I just point out that the correct abbreviation is etc.

Don87 said:
Your theories are total BS. Half of the posts here are riddled with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, including the people professing the stupidity of the "youth of today".

If you read many of the posts that you are criticising, you'll see that very few refer to the stupidity of youth, most refer to the devaluation of the education system. If, however, you want to take this as a personal criticism then that's your business (or alternatively, the education system has not equipped you to recognise the difference!).

Don87 said:
It is not a modern problem, or an issue solely involved with "today's youth". It makes no difference if you are 15, 32 or 85 years old...there are simply some people who can spell/punctuate well and some who cannot.

I agree, after all "you can't polish a turd" - there will always be a small number of people who will be incapable of understanding the rules of English grammar no matter how well these are taught. The problem, in my opinion, is that the educational system has given up teaching these rules thereby increasing the number of people who are unable to use English properly - this is not their fault, and I'm not accusing them of stupidity, but it is a problem that affects the UK and therefore needs resolving.

Don87 said:
The people in my old Higher English class were writing 1000s of words every single day, and you were strongly penalised for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. You cannot pass your exams spelling badly, you will fail.

So quit sounding like ridiculous old men with some single track mindset that all of todays "youth" are being dumbed down. Your elders probably said the EXACT same thing.

I don't believe the youth are being dumbed down; I actually believe that the pink and fluffy educationalists are selling them down the river by not teaching them the fundamental skills they need. This is not their fault, nor does identifying who is at fault help. What we need to do is recognise that teaching needs to equip people with the skills necessary to live and work and actually get on and do this rather than flip-flopping between "flavour of the month" educational theories!

edited at least once for numpty spelling! :)

Joe_Crow

War Hero
AfterSSE said:
RDIAENG.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe. ceehiro.

http://www.languagehat.com/archives/000840.php

Can be read, so even if spelling sucks and grammar is bad, as long as the person doing the reading is intelligent enough, you should be able to make it out.. :dwarf:

Whilst this is amusing, it is not the whole story. Homophones are often wrongly used by some, and the accompanying lack of punctuation helps to make some sentences unintelligible without careful study. The reel problem hear is that awl these our spelt write sew wont bee scene too be wrong buy spell chequers butt will course confusion too awl who reed accept four the patient.

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
Pretty much have to agree with Flagwagger.

I was probably a slower learner at school compared to some of my peers, I reckon I still am. Although I left school with only average CSEs I've still tried to improve my education, comprehension, and understanding. I still make the occasional mistake but do try and get my spelling and grammar right (even if I have to go back and double check it), unlike some who don't seem to give a fcuk about how they write (or speak), who don't see the need for capitalisations, punctuation or spelling. In fact those that think that txt spk is the height of sophistication. You see all sorts of excuses trotted out for not writing properly, but in the end they are all lame excuses by people who can't be bothered.