Bad England

IDOITDEEPER

War Hero
Although making the odd grammatical error myself, I feel that I have at least a basic grasp of the English language. Reading through various threads it perturbs me somewhat that the majority of the younger generation seem incapable of either spelling or punctuating sentences correctly. Particularly galling to see is the standard displayed by supposedly university educated members of our forum. The question I would pose is why do you think the standard of written English is so bad? Personally I believe that the text culture has at least something to do with it. What is your opinion?

Regards to all
IDOITDEEPER

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
It's the Internet and the younger generation have grown up using (and abusing) it in a manner all their own.
They treat a post as if it were a face to face conversation and so poor spelling and grammar really doesn't seem to be a big issue for them.
Of course it is hoped that their essay/school writing is of a higher standard, but who could say? Some of our young tyros may indeed be using TXT or rudimentary English to get the goat of our more pedantic members.
If this were a serious or academic site your concerns might have some validity, as it is an unofficial RN/RM site, I'd recommend a nice cup of tea and a lie down.
NZB

IDOITDEEPER

War Hero
Yes I agree that a person may wish to get a point across in a forum and I have no issue with that. It matters not that the spelling or punctuation is correct to make that point. I do however feel that British education system is obviously failing our youth. I would suggest that Cambridge university are actually wrong in respect to the view held on spelling. I make this statement after attempting to, and eventually succeeding (with great difficulty) in de-cyphering the quoted paragraph!

Have a lovely evening
IDOITDEEPER

NotmeChief

Banned
I don't see why this forum should be any different than any other forum to expect a reasonable standard of English. Just because most of the posts end up talking about bagging off the bird from the chippy, don't mean they have to in poor syntax and spelling.

We all make typos at some time, they can usually be recognised and ignored, but bad English usually in the form of typing as the spoken word is not reasonably excusable.

Who is responsible? Probably the teachers for not caring enough about standards, but (oxymoron coming) it's not the teachers fault if the kids are just not interested.

josiecats

War Hero
perhaps it has to do with TIME... so little time so much to do. I also think it has a lot to do with mobile phones, or what we all now know as TEX talk.
Every one rushing to say whats going on or what's up.

Was writting a letter a while back.. having finished it i re-read it to make sure that i had passed on all the family news, only to find it was written completly in TEX talk, so i now make a real effort to NOT do TEX talk, but sadily i still cant spell.. LOL.

Random

Lantern Swinger
NZ_Bootneck said:
Of course it is hoped that their essay/school writing is of a higher standard, but who could say?

Due to the joys of being certifiably dyslexic, I have had to sit through extra English lessons as well as the regular GCSE ones. During this time I came to the opinion that the English teachers I encountered had a worryingly shakey grasp of English language, its grammar and how to apply it.

If the teachers are not confident in what they teach, its going to be difficult for them to instil this knowledge in their pupils.

This is not an excuse for being personally unable in this area or a slight against the hard work of the teachers who tried to help my spelling and grammar; but rather an effort to highlight one of the circumstances that might be adding to the general English language problem.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
IDOITDEEPER said:
The question I would pose is why do you think the standard of written English is so bad? Personally I believe that the text culture has at least something to do with it. What is your opinion?

Text culture, and...
- too many years of not teaching grammar;
- exam marking schemes that don't penalise for spelling or grammatical errors;
- measurement of "educational standards" by means of an extremely simplistic measure open to political manipulation (GCSEs, league tables) while ignoring the requirements, and discounting the concerns, of the employer;
- simplified exams / marking schemas designed to improve productivity of examiner rather than test the full capability of the candidate (aka multi-guess);
- "deferred success" as a concept (they failed for God's sake - get over it!).
- built-in spooling and grammar cheques in PC applications;
etc. etc. etc.

In short, mostly political pressure to "objectively" demonstrate value for money in the educational system coupled with modern technology supporting bad habits.

Topaz

Lantern Swinger
I complty agree, non ov us cn tlk proplee ne mre. I duno how tu spel, am i lyk tha onli one or iz der lotz ov uz tht cnt tlk ne mre?

Haha okay I dont know where that came from but I thought I would give a slight example of the world of speach that I have grown up in.

I honestly think bad grammer is due to texting on moblies. I forget how to spell things all the time because I am so used to shortening them through text messages.... Its also a matter of some people just not having a very good grasp on the English language.

[I tried spelling that paragraph correctly, doubt I did...]

slim

War Hero
Idiotdeeper
On this we are as one. I have been making similar statement since joining RR. It is not the fault of the kids but the education system. Look at GCSE and A level results, outstanding but those attaining them cannot even communicate in written English.

NotmeChief

Banned
slim said:
It is not the fault of the kids but the education system.

The kids do have to take some responsibility, I think they are a lot lazier than in years gone by, and don't seem to have the same pride in themselves or what they do any longer.

I think they take pride in their textspeak and go out of their way to ignore the stadard language conventions. As ever, our all inclusive society has legitimised it and the kids (and not just kids) use it as a licence to write lazy crap. Total disregard for capital letters and punctution, say, on a "mobile" may be forgivable but not on a bloody computer keyboard.

I differentiate clearly between textspeak and poor grammar with bad spelling. That is a function of education standards. I've occasionally had a go on here for badly written work but only to aspirants to BRNC and those who I know to know better.

Now standing by for the application of irony by the eagle eyed ones.