Backing for School Cadets & Armed Forces Day

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Cpt_Black, May 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. linky

An interesting article about the government backing plans to create more cadet forces in state schools. This comes from a review "of the nation's "recognition" of the armed forces to find ways of making the public more aware of the role they play."

Also suggested is an "annual Armed Forces Day will also be backed to encourage the public to show their support for the British military."

2. It's about time the forces got recognition and i believe the introduction of an Armed Forces Day to be a step in the right direction. Further to the cadet force they should seriously think about returning to the days of national service.
  3. Cadet forces are an increadible resource; indeed I was i the CCF(RN) at school, and had a blast. Local cadet forces need a lot more public awareness. I only know about my local detachments because I went looking for them one day. Would it not be easier, and more cost effective, to focus on these initially rather than creat newer schemes without experienced leaders?

And why not do something about various high profile Universities banning the military from their campus'? This is an effective block to their URNU, OCF, UCAS and any RNR, RMR, TA or RAFR detachments from recruiting new members.
  4. Bit of a sideshow this one, but it's probably worth highlighting the errors in this statement. Universities per se aren't making any effort to ban anything, there are some student unions which have issues, but then that's gone on for years.
  5. Personally I think it would just create more load on an already overstretched resource. This would inevitably mean a need to start displays, parades and other forms of outreach which would cost money and take time to support. The services have got quite enough going on at the moment.

From the sublime to the ridiculous. The armed forces don't need significant numbers of unskilled people creating an overhead.
  6. There are obviously lots of potential snags with this the main one being that the children who might benefit most would be least likely to join (unless the weapons training was very good indeed).

A lot of people would find national armed forces day problematic as (myself included) many would wish to support the individuals concerned whilst at the same time deploring some of the military action in which they have been involved. Such events might actually become the focus of anti-militiary sentiment and might be equally misused by government s wishing to whitewash their dirty international relations policies ...

Interesting ideas though

7. The idea of strengthening and widening the Cadet Forces looks good. Let's see if the Treasury will offer any additional funding to cover it.

As regards an Armed Forces Day, golden_rivet makes some very good points. As I see it, it's shabby attempt by a Government and Prime Minister who couldn't really give a flying f**k for the Armed Forces to generate some popular image that they really do care. It's all part of the principle of "it's not worth a medal but it's worth a badge". The Americans make a public display of their Forces because that's what Americans do. I would imagine Brits, on the other hand, will see it for the political stunt that it most certainly is. On the positive side, I see the move to wearing rig "off duty" as a good thing. It will need rather more backbone than that displayed by the Staish of RAF Station Wittering, though! It will also need some discipline on the part of the wearer.
  8. Yes, I don't see any problem at all with our small armed forces, set up for the last several decades to train a professional volunteer army/navy/air force, having to deal with tens of thousands of young people conscripted without choice.

If I were at serious risk of a bullet in the snotbox, I'd definitely want to know that the man next to me was forced into this against this will and spent his training making the minimum effort to avoid being sent to the glasshouse.
  9. Uncle_Albert. Exactly right. The Services have enough problems right now without being tasked to resolve the results of the 30 year failed experiment in social engineering.
  10. Besides which, the sudden employment of tens of thousands of extra people by the MOD would require a huge increase in defence spending; frankly, we've got far better things to spend the money on than a few tens of thousands of conscripts who will all be leaving (with whatever minimal soldering skills they had beaten into them by their instructors/prison wardens, who will be the least competent instructors since the good ones will be busy teaching the professional volunteer recruits) at the earliest opportunity anyway.

The list of things wrong with bringing back national service goes on and on.
  11. Too true! :lol:
  12. I thought I would be a lone voice of dissent, not wishing to have an 'Armed Forces Day'. Good to see all the objections I was ready to make have been said.

I do support the proposal to strengthen the various cadet forces, particularly CCF as this will annoy the pinko NUT faggots who demanded that the Armed Forces be excluded from schools.
  13. The cadet forces do not just need more money, they are also being held back with outrageous rules and restrictions that stop them from doing what they do best, teaching cadets.

For example, Southern Area Sea Cadets keep all of their full bore weapons locked on Whale Island (formerly dispersed across units across the area). However after Midday on a Friday there are no staff available to sign the weapons out. So how are the cadets supposed to get weapons training squared away when they cannot access the weapons?

Whilst I'm not suggesting that every unit should or can hold weapons, but they need to be more accessible to the cadets help the instructors to help the cadets.