Backhanders Wrong says Treasury.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by trelawney126, Jul 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

I pay tax on my income, tax when I buy insurance, tax on clothes, taxed on savings, he'll I even pay
    a tax to help energy companies sell me Green Energy.
    if I can find a plumber to do some work on the side, you bet your but I'm going to take it. Any excess revenue
    is only given away to fund the legal aid, and foreign aid government schemes
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Excess? WTF? The country is (what is it?) £1 000 000 000 000 in debt. There isn't any excess.
  3. I personally don't trust the government to spend my money wisely, which is why I pay an accountant a large sum of money each year to save me paying an even larger sum of money to the tax man.

Seriously pay an accountant a grand and he'll save you 1100 quid in tax. Might not sound like much but you're still £100 better off and the tax man gets a grand less to spend on bonk shit like foreign aid and modern art to hand in MOD buildings.

Everyone's a winner.

Except the tax man.

He's a cunt.
  4. If our tax system was not so high to clear the national debt, and bail out the banks, then may be people would not look so hard to find ways to stretch their hard earned and heavily taxed pounds
    Immoral! Ask the boss of the banks or the boss of G4 Olympic security to pay back millions, and maybe we would not need to be penny pinching
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

There's a bit in the pot to give to India and China apparently, makes me proud the UK is funding space exploration and countries richer than itself.

But..... there's got to be some kind of kick back for the UK somewhere along the line with foriegn aid? You'd hope so. Anyway, I heard that PAYE was optional, just that no one gets the option. Tax on services, VAT etc you have to pay but your own contribution is your own affair. Probabley an old wives tale but an interesting one.
  6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

One of my mates is now self employed in civvy street and earning a comparable wage to what he earnt when in, yet in his own words pays only a fraction more tax in a year than he payed every month whilkst in the mob, 2DD is correct that accountants are well worth their fees, clever slippery bastards that they are.And I agree, the taxman is a cunt.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Seadog

Millions will not make a dent in a trillion although bonuses in the millions are being taxed at 50% which is going towards paying for career dolemongers. That's where the dent needs to be made, welfare. Foreign aid is sweeties in the big scheme of things and it does buy favours.
  8. Seadog

wet blobby asked
    An example, we give Pakistan aid, we (and Nato) get to drive our supply convoys through their territory to Afghanistan (when they haven't got the hump and suspend permission).
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The amount transferred to the Pakistani Treasury in cash over 10 years has been $8.647 billion. [SUP][1]. Some fee for using a road[/SUP]
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

11. Seadog

It is more than just 'using a road'. Probably cheaper than the cost of moving equivalent cargo a shorter distance along the M6 Toll.
  12. I think our Pakistani allies charge abou £200 per truck
  13. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

This is a complete non story, I'll pay tradesmen however they want in my negotiation to get the best value, I'm not responsible for their tax affairs, they are! The reference to 'morality' by the minister is merely self promoting and crass.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. I don’t know what the collective noun for people like this henry is, if he had to survive on a couple of hundred pounds a week he would gladly go for the cash in hand deal, same with the integration joker, he lives in some leafy suburb where the only time he sees a foreign face is on East enders, and the Judge who lets off lightly the scroat in the dock for the umpteenth time, burgle his house a couple of times, mug his wife and watch him change his tune. Its all well and good to moralise but reality is a different matter.
  15. It is also a minister who used to work for a solicitor's firm well known for its tax advice, and whose wife work's for a solicitor's firm well known for its tax advice.

And who claimed expenses for stamp duty on his house, which makes him an expert on saying those who buy through companies to avoid stamp duty are morally wrong...
  16. sgtpepperband

17. sgtpepperband

Furthermore, this Ministerial claim that it is immoral to pay a tradesman in cash is a rather sweeping judgement on anybody that accepts cash for work carried out, and is simply based on the assumption that all tradesmen are dishonest. I am well aware that there are cowboys in any business, but my experience of the building trade is that the large majority are honest and have accountable books.

The difference between tradesmen operating in cash transactions and the super-rich hiding their accounts offshore is that while one is trying to earn a living, the other is avoiding tax by claiming their earnings are a "loan".
  18. The kick back is the block vote of those nationals living in the UK
  19. A politician lecturing on 'morals''m sure Finx will have something to say, when he gets back from Damascus.
  20. Interesting point made by a bloke on radio 2, he's a tradesman who regularly deals in cash because he doesn't carry a card reader around with him and has had many cheques bounce on him in the past. he freely admitted that sometimes small amounts don't go through the books as it's easier for him and cheaper for the customer. Personally, as long as the jobs done well, if I can get a few quid knocked off than everyones a winner apart from the government.