Back to 1966

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by janner, Jul 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Fancy a trip back to 1966?

BBC iPlayer - Sounds of the 20th Century: 1966

Little bit of Alf Garnett and others, bits of news and some cracking music

No mention of janner making Mrs janner the happiest woman in the world though.

2. Maybe Mrs janner has a different view

3. Thanks for invoking the memories Janner,

Ah 1966! - I was at Brands Hatch when Jack Brabham won the British GP in his Championship year.

My last year as a carefree singleton; picked up my first badge (@ 4d. per day IIRC?) and my second hook :pr:

(Downside was that later I wrote off my one and only sports car, too ... :sad:)

4. Ahhh, 1966. What a great year to be born :-D

• Like Like x 1
  5. I remember watching the World Cup final on a small B&W Telly. It was my last year in primary school and we all had World Cup Willy (the mascot) badges.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

What was it like living in a black and white world?

7. Excellent, if you watch Pathe news clips from the day the Empire was all powerful, we even won wars outright.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

She has just passed a very similar comment!

There's a brief piece in the commentary about Braham's win

Want a job as a GPO Telephonist? £848 per year salary.... For a lot of us in those days the £1000 a year man was well off.

9. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

Ah, I wasn't even a twinkle in the milkman's (or was it postman's?! Never can remember...) eye.

:toothy3:

Wish I had been around in the 60s. Looked like a fantastic time to be young!

10. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Was on duty in HMS Excellent, a shiny new GI. Watched the Word Cup Final in the Senior Rates Mess, keeping fingers crossed I wouldn't be Called for.

11. Became a Dad for the first (but not last !) time, joined Boats. Momentous year for me.

12. Aye, Magda, 'twas indeed. (Sighs nostalgically.)

But, as you will discover in due course, "Youth is wasted on the young" George Bernard Shaw... :sad:

13. At Mercury finishing training watched world cup final in Mountbatten Block telly room

14. Twas, I was 14 in '66. .:brushteeth:

15. scan0001.jpg HMS Fife and Argentinian training ship Libertad
    Trafalgar Day 1966

This is where I was in 1966

• Like Like x 1
  16. Having picked up my third badge the previous year, I was considered an "old b*****d", but certainly didn't feel old! Just returned from twelve months FES, came back off leave to find all my Chinese cooks had turned into Maltese and the ship was all set for a year in the Med.
    Based in Malta, I was able to fly Mrs Mango and the three kids out for the duration (borrowed £186 from the brother in law for their fare).
    The "£1000 a year serviceman" headline appeared in the Daily Mirror a couple of years later, but we felt quite well off with what we earned in those days. Rented a house in Birzebuggia for £11 a month, drew RA and LOA, and was entitled to a generous duty free issue of spirits from NAAFI every month. Fresh fruit and veg were unbelievably cheap, the kids went to the Naval school at Verdala and we had a wonderful time.
    Happy days!

2BM

17. Pure unadulterated joy was that year! October I walked out of Victory barracks with a demob chit after wandering in 2 hours adrift and the MAA couldn't charge me!
    Ten years of enjoyment/piss ups,leg overs and fury ended with an almighty piss up and wondering what the future lay in store.
    The Jimmy told me he could not recommend me for any employment outside!
    Stupid twat! I told him I'd be earning more than him and a captain in a year or two and I did.

18. wal

wal Badgeman

3rd of January that year I signed up for an adventure at sea,starting with nearly a year at Ganges.