Back fooked

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ahhfisto, Mar 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After a few days of lower back pain, I took myself to a physio. Ive been told I have a prolapsed disk that will take 2-3 weeks to sort out. Medical next week so Ive rescheduled it to the enbd of the month.

I have had medicals for the forces before and am aware of bending stretching goings on. Pretty worried about it to be honest.

Anyone else had experience of this sort fo thing before, I have literally had nothing like this wrong with me ever!

2. Bollocks.

You have back pain. Disc my arse. Why can't physios stick to skin massaging and leave the medicine to those who understand it. Throwing diagnoses around does nothing but concern and confuse.

Whatever is wrong with your back, there is inflammation there. Until that inflammation is relieved then it is not possible to make any proper assessment.

Take 1 gram of paracetamol (2 x 500mg tabs) 4 times a day. No more than 8 in 24 hours, no other paracetamol containing products (Beechams powders, any cold remedy, etc). It won't work any better and may make you unwell. Presuming you have no probs with anti-inflammatories, take 400mg (2 x 200mg tabs) 4 times a day. Take these tablets by the clock for the first few days, whether or not you are in pain. This will get rid of the inflammation and break the cycle. If you only take them when it's sore then you'll never get ahead of the pain and they won't work as well.

Keep moving. Basic back movements. Physio has no role in acute back pain. There may be a role in recovery - ie a couple of weeks down the line.

Once the pain has resolved we can make an assessment as to whether or not you have a disc problem. It is very unlikely. If you have ongoing symptoms (pain, pins and needles in legs) then you may need an MRI scan - this is the only way to diagnose disc problems.

And don't tell the AFCO you have a disc problem - mainly because there is no evidence that you do, and it would be a potential fail in a medical. It would be a shame to be failed on something you don't have.

3. Thank frig for a genuine reply!. Really appreciate your help angry.

I went to the physio rather than my GP to try and get a 'qucik fix' if you like and also so that back pain doesnt appear on my recent medical records! Stupid maybe but I hope someone can see my point.

To be honest its not a great pain as such. I explained this to the physio and said it was more of a restriction of movement or what I would explain as a stiff back with an occasional nip pain that isnt bad at all. So I havent (as I dont normally) bother with pain relief or antinflamitory.

When he said it was a disk problem I didnt feel too confident in his diagnosis as I have seen people with disk pain and they have been in bits!

Anyway I am going to a few more physio appointments as the stretches as I will amit they have helped loosen up a bit but I will also have a go and ibuprofen or similar. Defiantely moving about is good for it and sitting down is where it is worse.

Will let you know how it goes and hopefully I will be BACK,,,, in shape for the medical in a few weeks time

4. People seem to have an aversion to taking anti-inflammatories for pain, then coming to see me asking what can be done.

Let's get this straight - the treatment for PAIN is PAIN KILLERS. It's not rocket science.

Your back in inflamed, so take an anti-inflammatory - ibuprofen. That is much more likely to help you than any amount of physio. I'm sure you can work the stretches out yourself.

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

6. Janner - I tell it like it is!

7. ahhfisto

Even if you don't normally bother with pain relief etc, you would be well advised to follow AngryDoc's advice to the letter. Print his post out to refer to when you are offline if necessary.

He trained for a long time at Medical School and, more importantly, must have seen more cases identical to yours in his day to day job than you have had hot dinners.

Follow his advice; you know it makes sense.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I had noticed in a couple of threads that you were getting a bit touchy feely, which was worrying me :wink:

9. Just to let you know, I went to the physio who did some sort of massage on said area of my back. He said it would make it a bit worse for a few days and he wasnt joking. Couldn't move for bout 3 days after!

Now i have no pain whatsoever! Not even a twitch. Feel great and getting back into fitness after 3 weeks near of doin frig all!

10. Did you also take the anti-inflammatories and painkillers?

11. Well. all that crap aside and not an injury in sight (thank fook!) Today I passed my PJFT.

Just waiting on security clearance and interview on the 27th july and hopefully holding troop soon after.

Ph :thumbright: ew.

12. Oh yeah, in response to my first initial reply to my post.....

Busted disc? BOLLOCKS indeed!!

13. YES - but did you do as AG said ??

If not, don't bother asking fcuk all again.

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"Fooked back"? Sick Bay Ranger?

Sounds like a WAFU with a Sea Draft! :shock: :lol:

15. I did what AG said to as well as the return trip to the physio.

Worked well in my case, just thought i would post an update incase it ever helps anyone else in any way.

Thanks for the help AG. Legend.