Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello all, just wondering, i join raleigh in 12 weeks, and my bmi is currently 29, obviously im keeping fit and training up for it, i do have a little bit of a belly, no more than the next man (i wouldn't say i'm fat) i am going swimming and to the gym every day, and alternating my running between 2 and 4 miles every night, i was worried of doing weights at the gym incase i bulk up too much as i do not want to put on any more weight.
    now to the question that the topic talks about, i have been told 3 different stories on the whole bmi front of the medical at Raleigh, the first being that it must be 26 or below any higher and it's back on the train, the second being that it has to be 26 or below but they will accomodate up to 28 if it looks like the candidate is muscular rather than a fatty, and the third is that a bmi of 30 is the absolute maximum. could someone please clarify which it is as i have 12 weeks to go, so if i have to drop to 26 or 28 i have plenty of time to do that now.

I apologise for the long essay, just i wanted to make sure i didn't miss anything

2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

PM Scarface2009, aka fatmong. He'll discuss your issue over a chessy hammy eggy.

In a nutshell, if your a chubby micky D's addict, its time to stop eating junk food and pissing up. 3 months should be long enough to lose a few stone, if it is'nt, **** off Mr Greedy. Good luck fat boy!!!!!!

3. i don't eat mcdonalds, and only drink when watching football so thats not a problem

4. Rather depends how much you watch the football!

In all seriousness, you passed the medical during the application process, as long as you weren't told to lose weight before Raleigh and you haven't gained any since then, I can't imagine they would have an issue.

5. witsend

Ehhhh, your joining the armed forces. Do you want a arm around your shoulder and your balls cupped?

Time to start thinking for yourself, and that goes for any other newbie reading this!!! The AFCO might appear like he'll change your nappy, but in all reality,,, its time to grow up!!!!!!!!!

Good luck. :wink:

6. I think you misunderstood my question? i only asked if anybody knew what the cut-off for the bmi is.

I know this isn't an official forum, but a lot of the people on it either have been in the navy or are in the navy. It isn't uncommon in any walk of life for the "newbies" to ask the experienced people information yet some of the replies, not just to my thread but to others I have also read, make out that it is a totally alien idea of asking for advice.

7. witsend

Hmmmmmmm, if your a fat cunt, reduce your calorie intake and exercise.

Whats alien about that?

8. witsend

FatmongII, I don't give a shit what you think/believe.

Being honest, how many pies are you on today?

9. actually none, i will have 1 tomorrow at half time, ohh i give up, i will just go ask my afco on monday for the information i want

10. witsend

FatboyII, eating shite at the game. Are you some kind of mong?

Your arse will be wiped on Monday morning, slim. :roll:

11. Kilmarnock do the best pies at the fitba and thats from a drunk guy should experience them at half tme.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Your BMI will be checked, day two at Raleigh & compared to the previous BMI recorded at the AFCO medical. In exceptional circumstances, for large-framed muscular individuals the Medical Examiner may apply discretion for a borderline BMI.

If simply overweight & unfit, you will most likely be medically discharged. All applicants are given a Pre Joining Fitness Programme to ensure they arrive at Raleigh fully prepared for Phase One training - we get around 5 or 6 fails per week with regard fitness & sympathy is nowhere to be found, particularly in the current economic climate.

The advice is get fit, lose weight or bugger off & let someone more deserving have the training place. If in doubt about the correct joining weight - contact your AFCO & ask if the Medical Examiner will give you a target weight for joining.

Good luck.

13. thank you very much, yer i'm following the 8 week fitness programme, and the fitness instructors at the gym have added extra on for me aswell

14. Mate, there are some fat bastards who go to Raleigh. Most of them pull it out the bag when needed, though one young fat scouser man in particular never passed his 1.5m run. He was a fat lazy bastard and I don't like him. He got back trooped 2 weeks, and got another few weeks of remedials, because he lacked so much self discipline miraculously after christmas leave he did a 12m 10s. He needed to lose a minute, now I'm not saying that because he'd spent 11 weeks with the same young female PTI, and he had gift of the gab, that they falsified the times, but he passed.
    Moral of the story, if you can run 1.5m in under 11 minutes, and do I think 20 pressups and 40 situps or something, those are the only physical requirements. Oh and be able to walk over Dartmoor which is a joke.

15. Ninja,
    What happens to those people who are built like brick out-houses (Rugby forwards, Judo gurus etc) who try to join up?

If I had to sit BMI test without taking into account my God-like structure, I would be jiggered :wink: :D

16. Fella, I'm 31, according to the doc I'm large framed. I'm a short arse at 5'7 I'm still not in the "normal weight" BMI as I'm not 11 stone yet. I'm just under 12 stone. I'm still overweight according to BMI, however I've legs like a rugby player and I'm not exactly small chested lol I'm a Judo Guru as well lol But I can run the 1.5 miles on a treadmill in under 11 mins.

I'm sure the docs can be forgiving enough to see the difference between lard ass and large built sporty.

There really is no excuse to not being able to pass the appropriate fitness test being large built. If I can anyone can.

I am in the process of re joining. Yes I'm a failed civi lol Passed the medical despite not being in the normal BMI weight cat. Infact the doc told me I should stop losing weight.

I'm trying to control my weight now with the amount of training I'm doing lol

17. I would have thought taking % fat would be more reliable and would make the selection policy more joined-up.

18. When i went down i had a BMI of about 30-31 i think!

The doc said why hadnt i lost any weight, and i simply said, "doc i've played in the pack at rugby for the last 12 years! I cant lose any more and still be fit!"

so he laughed, told me hed heard that a hundred times and doesnt belive it any more, but he does have another test for it!

So he did the tape measure test, where basically a cm below the belly button, where (and i think i remember this right) your width in inches should idealy be around half of your height in CM, so for some one like me whos 170 CM it should of been about 33 inches, or 85 cm if your fully metric!

Which it was, we then sat together and had a good old bitch and moan about BMI!

However if you fail this other simple test, stop eating shit and exercise! SImples!

19. The MO at RALEIGH, or a man in the street frankly, can eyeball you and quickly work out if you're fat or muscular. Fat = cheerio; muscular = ok. The BMI is a ballpark figure, not gospel.

But in all fairness stop the beer for a few weeks and get some celery.

20. I am both and I passed the medical, so I'm sure you would be fine. However they said they would take an in depth look into my delusions of grandeur :?