B.M.I at HMS Raleigh for basic training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ndtucker, Apr 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

When I did my medical in the selection process I failed because I was under weight for my height. I then went back after the time they gave me and passed the second time round.
    What I am worried about is that when I get down to Raleigh to do basic training that when I go for my medical there I might be under weight. If I does any one know whether they will just send me home straight away or let me beef up there and then redo the medical after eating and bulking up there???

Cheers :thumright:

2. You should start eating fish and chips and other unhealthy things. This way you will put on weight nice and easy! Hope this helps :thumright:

3. Cheers I eat quite well but I have a high motabelism. I hope they dont send me home if I am under weight.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You will be medically re-checked during your first week at Raleigh. If you fail to meet the medical standards for entry during Phase One training you can be medically discharged.

You are unlikely to put weight on during phase one training due to the physical nature of the training, in fact you are more likely to lose weight unless you manage to increase your muscle mass.

Good luck.

5. Im a fat bastard, :thumright:

6. I have been reading about the BMI and the medical at Raleigh, and I am a little concerned as I had a BMI of 29 and was advised to "lose my beer gut" in my previous medical examination.

I am due to start at Raleigh in 3 weeks and though I have been following the fitness regime, I am quite podgy still. Is this a big problem? Otherwise I am in a decent physical condition. I have now quit the beer and I am thinking I should go hiking every day in an attempt to slim down rapidly without resoting to a ridiculous diet.

I am 29 and have had an office job for the last few years, and hence I have generally led a sedentary lifestyle. I just hope this will not lead to me being medically discharged...

7. can I have your medical officer to do my medical :p
    I have a BMI of 28, I play rugby and have a very large muscular frame and i now have to lose 5kg in order to progress. Ive been going wrong and needed to have a beer gut to pass!

8. Every drink you have... make sure its semi-skimmed milk. It is full of protein and goodness. Remember it`s a food more than a drink...

Drink at least four pints per day and it will help you put on weight if you include some strength excercises and cardio stuff.
    But remember, if you want to get bigger, you must eat bigger! And by that I mean plenty of protein. I still eat on occasion up to 12 egg whites boiled, poached, in an omlette of a morning. Get chomping! And one other thing...when you get to Raleigh you will needto eat shed loads. Get to the canteen early...and thats a real top tip!

9. I enjoy being thick and tall.

I dunno if BRNC/Raleigh is anything like lympstone, but at CTC they feed you 5k calories a day, if not more.

If you just stuff your face like a pig you'll be fine

10. The canteen?

11. Yes.

Like a pig.

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Going into training with a couple of extra pounds is not a bad thing, you'll lose them. You'll be fine, if you were a fat bast*rd you would not be going. 3 weeks to go, keep up your regime. Good Luck.

13. Way back when and I joined up the blurb given to me said that in basic training most people put on weight, not lost it.
    Perhaps people were skinnier by and large in those days. Or, has basic training become more physical. The emphasis of a lot of chat in the newbies section seems to be about physical fitness, whereas I don't remember it being an issue.
    What's changed?

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If all else fails, you could join the Guards. :thumright:

15. Thanks, that´s reassuring! I am a little flabby, as I say, but certainly not fat, and expect to lose a few lbs at Raleigh. But hearing people have been medically discharged for being overweight was somewhat disconcerting.

16. Yeah, I get the picture that they're not looking for overweight people as such, but people that are just physically incompatiable for the training, like build etc. The AIB isn't designed to spot those ready for a commision straight away, it's to determine who will be ready for a commision after the right training.

17. buy a weight gainer from a health foods shop, protein will just make you leaner if yoour doing regular weight training.

Met-rx is a really good weight gainer. Certainly one i would reccommend, or Celltech by muscletech.

18. We're all bat fastards now.

19. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Have to say without timetravelling and weighting everyone on day 1 and then on passing out, I think I probably lost weight but was a fitter person.

I have to agree that fitness was'nt a issue when I joined up, but I was the ZX spectrum generation. I think the younger generation are a lot less active and hence its become a issue for the armed forces.