AWOL Question

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by db90, Dec 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What happens to someone who hands themselves in after being AWOL for over a year? Would it always be a court martial? How long would it take to get everything sorted out?

2. Not sure. Turn yourself in and then let us know how you got on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Over the years I've had someone hand themselves in at my AFCO for going awol in the 1970s and a Chef turned himself in for murder (I kid you not).

4. Ninja_Stoker

The Chef got life. I'd imagine AWOL is a lesser tariff.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I couldn't resist a bit of googling. To my surprise the Manual of Service Law is available online (although thinking about it, it is right and proper that Service Law should be transparent).

Link for any budding lawyers:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...publication-jsp-830-manual-of-service-law-msl

Specifically, to answer the question above, it appears that in some cases a service trail can be dispensed with:

Dispensing with Service proceedings
    34. Whilst desertion remains a serious offence there are circumstances in which it would be of no benefit to try someone for this offence see Chapter 18 (Terms and conditions of enlistment and service). The main provisions are outlined at paragraphs 35 to 37 below.
    35. Confession of desertion. If a Service person makes a confession of desertion37, the CO may decide, with or without the consent of the Director of Service Prosecutions, to dispense with Service proceedings, having taken into account the circumstances of the case and of the person who made the confession38.
    36. Forfeiture of service following confession of desertion. If a Service person makes a confession of desertion and the CO decides to dispense with Service proceedings, service is forfeited according to the following rules:
    a. The date of enlistment will be deemed to have been the date which precedes the date of the CO’s decision by the period of service that has not been forfeited.
    b. The Service person who confessed will be liable to serve for an additional period equal to the period admitted as desertion.
    c. The date of entitlement to discharge from the regular forces, to end service with the regular forces or to be transferred to a reserve force, will be postponed by an equal period.
    d. The CO may decide that the person who confessed is not required to serve for an additional period under sub-paragraph 36.b above39.

6. I knew of a couple of lads that went AWOL ,one handed himself after a year as he had run out money and lost his job,couple of months in DQs and out and the other was caught after about six months,again outside via DQs for a couple of months

7. We had a bloke, Bill, brought into Viccy Barracks Recess in 1963. He'd gone AWOL around 1946. We kept him for about two weeks. Not much to do beyond give him the old heave ho. But recent AWOLs just might do DQs and out or DQs and stay in, having to make up the time. At the end of the day, better to give yerself up or you'll be looking over your shoulder forever. They don't forget. :cool:

8. Ninja_Stoker

Generally those bone enough to go AWOL in a service they joined voluntarily & may leave voluntarily, don't really qualify for a definitive answer in my book.

The only reason they come crawling back is because it affects their benefits & state pension eligibilty.

• Like Like x 5