Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by gunnjen, Nov 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

If any of this is operationally sensitive, please forgive me I'm a newbie and just simply don't answer, delete or reproach me!

Looking for some answers as I can't seem to get clear facts from my unit - the AWFP (formerly known as GSSR):

1) Is this a role just reserved for SPO teams on merchant vessels?
    2)Are we likely to be in Iraq or Afgahnistan supporting the soldiers?
    3)If answer to 2) is yes, will we get further infantry like training?
    4)Is this role likely to evolve into a more infantry type role, if so are there projections as to when?
    5)Can we go on "all arms commando" courses - if so probably condensed reservist based ones?

Thanks a lot
  2. I cant believe that you cannot get a clear answer to any of the questions you have stated in your post from members of the AWFP branch within your unit.

I would be interested to know which unit and region you are from. If you PM me I can discuss some of the specifics you might want to know or at least point you in the right direction....!
  3. I think you have the jist if what you can expect.
    Other branches are available, just suppressed by the people with CS95 fetish.
  4. Hmm...bit of angst towards AWFP me thinks!
  6. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Formatting tidied up for clarity

From my own past experience, if COMMARES had a positive communications policy, rumour and scuttlebutt wouldn't be such a problem!
  7. From my experience, I would suggest it isnt COMMARRES that starts the rumours
  8. "From my experience, I would suggest it isnt COMMARRES that starts the rumours "

But it doesnt do anything to stop them!
  9. Nature of rumours though. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  10. If they did something to stop the rumours then it may give the great unwashed an incling as to whats going on and that would never do ;P
  11. so a response from CMR should be given to every rumour, wow what a great idea (not).........

Most of the utter bollox goes away anyway. CMR organisation is far to busy and understaffed to cope with day to day stuff without feeding stuipid rumours.............
  12. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"so a response from CMR should be given to every rumour, wow what a great idea (not)........."

Given that DCMR saw fit to tell us to be careful what to post here, its clear that he has time to surf this site. If he has time to view, then he has time to type a reply.

Morale is the lowest that I have ever seen it, rumours about our future abound, lots of things that could have been quashed or clarified (R's, RNRFT etc) weren't, but at least we were told not to post here.
    CMR needs to realise that the majority of the RNR are fed up with being treated like mushrooms and far too many are voting with their feet right now...
  13. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

This response typifies the arrogance of CMR - I would have hoped that a high profile figure in the RNR who has the ear of many would have the sense to actually read between the lines and pick up on the fact that all is not well at the grass roots level. To belittle peoples's concerns and claim that the centre are too busy to listen makes me thankful that I'm no longer a card carrying member of the RNR! (and yes, in case you feel the need to get personal, this particular example of utter bollox has gone a long way away, about 3000 miles away in fact!).

Flagwagger Out.
  14. First off what's CMR? next if I could just rewind some - so am I right in thinking the role is just sentry duty if so, would it be land based or always on ships?

Finally, is there opportunity to go to the middle east or south asia?
  15. CMR - Commodore Maritime Reserves
    Yes its sentry stuff on ships and sometimes land
    Yes you will go to sandy hot places
    No you wont necessarily be accomodated in 5 star luxury in Dubai
  16. Will there be a laundry service and minibar?
  17. wrong branch for 5star hotels try MTO.

I cant see anywhere in my posting that it says "CMR is too busy too listen". as you mis quoted ???
    Perhaps you should read it again

CMR HQ are very aware of the current issues, they are getting info fed back on a daily basis, from all corners. CMR has personally intervened just this week on AWFP mobilisation.

My posting is far from arrogant, surely we sometimes need to get on with things as best we can. This is not belittling at all. I know that I and others are constantly on the phone to HQ with direct issues that affect all RNR personnel, especially the AWFP cadre who are under great stress at this time, I for one salute their efforts.

Some excellent dedication and hard work is being undertaken by unsung WOs & Senior Rates out there, just because things arent broadcast on here doesnt mean nothing is going on .