away from home

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by mini-mum, Jun 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Kiwi is on his first deployment and while I am so proud and happy for him I am struggling because I miss him soooooooooooooo much.=-(
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Cheer-up! At least there's emails & the odd satellite phonecall nowadays.;-P

Not so long ago it was all done by letter.

Every so often you'll see the odd post on Facebook/Royal Navy with people asking "What's my son/daughter's ship doing & why isn't it in the news?". Odds are the little darlings are not communicating with home because they're too busy enjoying themselves. It's the same in training; parents only get the call when the son/daughter is on a downer.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Let's just hope kiwi isn't his navy nickname!

You might as well send some of his baby photos to his LHOM as well!
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  4. You will get usd to it , actually , no you wont . You would be suprised how much info you can get online if you dig enough. Yes you become a stalker .

Excuses you will hear as follows

"Oh the comunication system went down"
    "Ive been on duty all the time when I could call in the time zone"
    "I was alongside and forgot my phone"
    "I couldnt find wi fi while in the boozer"
    "I had far too much to drink and forgot"
    "Has it really been four weeks?"

You will get contact via email and a phone call but I found it was later in the deployment as the novelty wore off
  5. Although he won't be on it, RN.COM (link below) is a forum for families, which the Ship can access, which has ship specific pages. You can find it on the Royal Navy home page or the link below goes straight to the register page.
  6. Thank you so much. We have been sending Ste emails to his current address as we still don't know his submarine account address.:icon_smile:
  7. Submariner is he? I hope you've got a picture of him somewhere as you may not recognise him when he comes home. Or he you, for that matter.
  8. I think he has pretty much got my face imprinted in his mind. Will he have lost weight?He can't afford to lose any more.:grin:
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Most submariners gain weight whilst on patrol.

Usually in their wallet.... unless they're foolish enough to have a joint account.
  10. I can vouch for the second part. I was minted as a single man, the joint account made sense when I was away a lot but the first time back after I'd got married was a bit of shock when I went to the cash machine :frown:

Thank God for subbies on the foreign runs ashore!

11. Oi? What's this 'Separation Allowance' on your pay chit?

Don't worry Love, I pay that.