Awarding of the VC to Royal Marines

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by pvonh108, Jul 31, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why are the RM not awarded the VC anymore? I know they where in the past but not now.
  2. Probably because no RM has done anything to deserve one yet (in the eyes of the awarding body), they're not smarties!

RM aren't excluded from the VC you know!
  3. Who told you that?
  4. 8-O Uhh, is this a wind up?

I'll answer anyway... If you're referring to the Victoria Cross then the the Royal Marines are not excluded from receiving the award.

Edited to say :posted same time as WreckerL (who I'm still stalking). :icon_smile:
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  5. That's given me a boost :)
  6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The Royal Marines qualify for a more exclusive Victoria Decoration as a result of their superior skills and fighting power. This is known as the VD, and many RM have qualified over the years.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. I'm behind yuoooooooo.

• Like Like x 1
  8. It has to be witnessed by an officer and what is considered VC type action, is no more than normal for a Royal Marine and therefore no RM's would be considered for a VC unless it was really exceptional.
  9. Oh sorry i was told by a sergeant that RM cant get them anymore and the highest they can get is the George Cross. Sorry if i have caused any offence, i think that the RM are the most elite force, i just didn't know the proper information :\
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You are joking right? I would think that the RM Sgt you spoke to is not an RM Sgt by the sounds of things. The GC is a civilian decoration in any event and this geezer sounds like either a walt or a wind up merchant.
  11. The VC is only awarded for supreme acts of gallantry in the presence of the enemy. In other circumstances, the GC is awarded.

Before you get duffed up by a host of military EOD personnel:
  13. Matthew Croucher 4.jpg

Mathew Croucher RMR who won the GC in Afghanistan after throwing himself on a grenade to save his oppos.
    As has already been said its awarded when not in the face of the enemy.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I stand corrected.

I fear i may have been confusing it with the QGM. Saying that, the Military can get that one as well. Mind you, i should have known better as Robert Nairac was awarded the GC. I consider myself suitably chastised.

In any event, this Sgt bloke is the one who needs the shoeing.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  15. George Cross recipients

King George VI instituted the George Cross on 24 September 1940 because the VC couldn't be awarded for supreme acts of gallantry performed when not in the presence of the enemy. The website linked below, maintained by a fellow miltary history-loving acquaintance, may be of interest. Note the many awards of the GC to RN, RNR, RNVR and RANVR personnel for bomb & mine disposal thoughout the UK during the Blitz, partly because the Germans started employing parachute mines as blast bombs ("land mines") but mainly because there was a shortage of bomb disposal personnel throughout the services.
    The first decoration awarded to naval personnel during the Second World War was the DSO presented by the King to Lt Cdr (later Cdr) John Ouvry RN on the parade ground at HMS Vernon on 19 December 1939. Ouvry was the first to render safe a German magnetic ground mine, then devastating shipping around the UK, and thus enabled the development of appropriate self-protective measures and mine countermeasures. Apocryphally, he was later given the option of exchanging it for the newly-instituted GC but chose to keep his original award.

16. Surprised no one was put up for one for the strap on an Apache incident.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I think it would have been a VC for that as the fort was still crawling with taliban if I remember right.
    Im sure the pilots got the DFC or something similar.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. There's a letter on page 26 stating the same thing:
    NavyNews.Sept 07
  19. Should have read all the bleddy posts.
  20. I thought one of the aircrew got a DSC, for his actions "on the ground"?