Aviva Advert

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by SJRM_RN, Aug 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's had quite a response on the Guzz Evening Herald website, funny as fcuk.

2. I think its cracking "Oi roight big Dave?"

3. Most of them saying "Us don't talk like thaaat down yerr."
    Cross between Bristol and Cornwall - definitely not Demport, Plymuff not likely.

4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I say old chap. I'm sure that we don't talk in that awful regional accent, do we?

5. Well my old duchess say you do me ansom. :wink:
    Anyway its not talking the demporters have trouble with, its reading and writing 8O :)

6. (granny)

Especially the crap writing here!

7. They do say that by 2020 English will be compulsory in Plymouth :twisted: :wink:

8. (granny)

I try very hard to educate my Grandchildren into using basic English when we talk on the internet, but is a hard task. This text speak that they use makes a mockery of the beautiful english language heritage that we have. How on earth are we going to stop the rot?

9. U R GR8

2YY's UR
    2YY's UB
    ICUR 2YY's 4 ME

10. (granny)

Cocky b'stard. True though.

11. Sadly, in my opinion, we will not.

We should all understand that language evolves. For example the word 'gotten', one I considered a horrible Americanism, has done the whole circle. It was old English, went to America and stayed there, whilst we dropped it.

I would also imagine that 'Shakespearean' language shocked many in its time.

That sort of evolution we must accept - language is live - but I agree that the new horrors of text-speak and the radical and far too rapid changes are a bad thing.

Innit.

Edited for poor English, and still don't like 'done the whole circle', but 'whatevah' :oops:

12. (granny)

Yes! I can understand the evolution of language. I am reading a book called 'In the South Seas', by Robert Louis Stevenson. It was written in the late 19th century. I am at times struggling to understand the style of, what I can only call, exuberant narrative. But I have a fascination of all things 'South Pacific so I will struggle on.

13. Yes! I can understand the evolution of language. I am reading a book called 'In the South Seas', by Robert Louis Stevenson. It was written in the late 19th century. I am at times struggling to understand the style of, what I can only call, exuberant narrative. But I have a fascination of all things 'South Pacific so I will struggle on.[/quote]

Admit it! What fascinates you about the South Pacific is the Hawain girls shaking their assess in grass skirts. Er,.....Well it does me anyway. :wink:

I tried reading a Somerset Maugham novel once; it was like trying to thread a fkcing needle!!

14. Right guys any ideas how to dl this off youtube, i.e. what capture software is out there? I want to send it out to the guys off my last ship who have been away since May, give them a bit of a chuckle.

15. (granny)

Admit it! What fascinates you about the South Pacific is the Hawain girls shaking their assess in grass skirts. Er,.....Well it does me anyway. :wink:

I tried reading a Somerset Maugham novel once; it was like trying to thread a fkcing needle!![/quote]

My 'grass skirted' girls were from Ocean Island, now called Banaba. What a party!

16. Expressed in a more succinct manner, you may have wished to say "has gone full circle" or even the cycle is complete.
    Then again we are in the main matelots so stick with your version, we're keeping up. :)
    Me being of a somewhat vocular nature whilst writing I would have said it used to be, and then it wasn't, then it was again, and when you fell asleep I'd nick ( sorry steal or purloin ) your tot. 8O :D

17. If they've got net access just e-mail the youtube link, not sure what access you shiny grey things have.

18. Yeah internet access at 56k but the sites you would use most i.e. ebay and youtube are both blocked

19. You have to pay for it, sod that.