Avergae age for new recruits at Raleigh?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by smircula44, Sep 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if anyone knows what the average age for new recruits at raleigh is?

I was there about 7 years ago when I was 18. Just wondering if there will be many people my age or older, or will it be mostly younger ones.

2. I'm 21 but estimate I'll be 47 by the time I get to Raleigh.

:threaten: @ Royal Navy admin.

3. On the RNAC Course i did the ages ranged from 16 to 34-35

4. Hey mate,dont worry about people your age you'll find them 16 to in their 30's.Im 36 and going to Raleigh this Sunday 23rd Sept then as Submariner,Sonar/Tactical. Goodluck and wish you all the best.Will keep u posted and everyone on this forum with my progress mate.Steve G.

5. im got the shock of my life when i got my date it has landed on my 18th bday 14th october has this happened to anyone else?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Only your twin, mate.

Average age of recruits at Raleigh varies between 16 & 36. Each intake can vary greatly, but I suppose 19 ish is probably the norm nowadays.

7. All being well, I will be 34 by the time I get to Raleigh. It seems that more and more are joining up a bit later in life.

8. At my pre-join brief today the 6 of us were 20-25ish. We were told the average age of recruits passing through that office is about 21 but I guess it varies throughout the country.

9. chris your already be there and used to navy life by the time i get there lol

10. Will probably still be in shock or something - you're only arriving a week after me.

It'll be interesting working with people varying so much in age, we're all there with the same objective though.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Just to state the obvious:

Raleigh is nothing like Lympstone, as depicted on ITV last night.

Yes, it's a shock to the system initially, but RN Phase One Training is very different to Commando Recruit Training, because we are training two very different sorts of people.

It would be unfair to try to draw parallels as you are not comparing like with like.

12. Well I'm just expecting it to be like the Army basic Ninja.

Or is it a little less or more harsh than that?

13. Ninja_Stoker

It's much harsher than the Army.

I even had to fluff my own pillows once. :thumright:

Nah, if you passed Army basic, you should pass RN Phase 1 - just beware being complacent, you still need to be fit, remember you are older this time around & accept that it's quite different.

14. I didn't pass Army basic mate.

I did a pathetic 6 weeks and if I could have come out sooner, I would have!

I'm ashamed of it, but that shame is now making me stronger and I cannot wait to annihilate basic at Raleigh !!!

15. Ninja_Stoker

Put it this way, you did 6 weeks more than most people on here did.

Just put that behind you, focus on what's ahead & you'll be fine. I think most people would agree that you are by far the keenest individual on here & if Phase 1 RN training were simply passed on enthusiasm alone, then you'd have been passing in/out, hokey-cokey (or whatever it is this week) a long time ago.

16. Don't worry if you are a little older than the rest of the class. Once you have finished part one and part two training and start working for real you will find that your extra maturity is appreciated by your superiors. This is often reflected in your appraisals and subsequently in your rate of promotion.

17. I'm 3 weeks into phase 1 at BRNC - being 34 I am the definite grandad of the new entries, but so long as you are fit and do what you're told you'll be fine.

18. I was 15 and 3/4 when I got to Raleigh , a few years ago though {29 3 71}, happy days indeed , only remember the good times mind .