Average Working Day AET?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Newbie14, Aug 31, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I've searched high and low and can't find an answer.

What is the average working day like for an AET both ashore and on a ship? Do AETs work as watch keepers at all? like the ET(ME) do?

I ask only out of interest, not for decision making purposes.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Unless drafted to a ship as part of the Air Engineering Department, an AET tends to be drafted to a squadron. In this role your work, the working hours and the location of your work is dictated by the aircraft. If there's night flying, you work of a night-time. If the aircraft is embarked on a ship, so are you. If the aircraft is on an air station, so are you.

AETs, on average, don't serve on ships as much as ET(ME)'s, nor do they routinely keep watches unless on a war-footing when the whole ship goes into two watches (defence watches), at a higher state of battle readiness, 24/7. Most AETs upon joining are often surprised they may serve four or more years before serving afloat.
  3. Well Ninj me old mate things have changed drastically since this old fart was in.
    On carriers all squadrons worked 24 hours a day, normally in a three watch system.
    I was shoreside for 3 years before getting my first seagoing draft HMS Eagle which I picked up in Singapore.
    It was however a shock when late in my life I was given a ships flight as the R1.
    For some reason the other watch never ever relieved us, perhaps they were in their clicky beds, ;)in fact I never even saw them at scran time.:(
  4. Average working day? About half of it

On a squadron you will work either 8 or 10 about at sea and 24 about ashore. If ships company you will work days routine as the fisheads do. Ashore in a workshop you will work days with a Friday lunch chop if your lucky

An explanation of 8, 10 & 24 about will have to wait, only go 5% charge left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  5. Ah 24 about the Wafus delight.
    Especially as a pinkie with lots of early chops when not nigh flying;)
  6. Cheers so far guys.

JFH, I await your explanation of 8, 10 and 24 :)

I really want to be at sea but I want to work on aircraft so I'll just have to settle for the life of an AET and hope for a sea draft I'm afraid ;)
  7. 8 and 10 about is simple, 8 or 10 hours (ish) on and 8 or 10 off. Depending on Flying and what Pontious and his oppos has done to the aircraft there may be at lot of work required to fix them.

Back at M.O.B. you may work 24 about. You start 07:30 Monday and work until 12:00, you are then off until 12:00 the next day. You then work untill you finish, average for Harriers was anywhere between 22:00 and Midnight. Back in in the morning at 07:30 until lunch. So you will get a lunchtime Friday to lunchtime Monday long weekenders every other week.

I believe some squadrons are working another routine but I'm not sure what it is?

Hope that explains it?
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

Working 8 or 10s is go to work for 8 or 10 hours and then have 8 or 10 hours off and then back to work again. Keep on doing this all the way through the deployment.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
  9. My Mum always told me if a job was worth doing, it was worth doing properly and that's why I made sure the boys and girls had a shopping list of snags to keep them busy :)

I'm sure things have changed a bunch since I left but in Ark Royal it was almost always 8 about. That is, until the fisheads stuck a Sunday-at-sea in the program and mucked up the sleep pattern of every AEM.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ahh yes, nothing better than watching the ships company have a jolly old Flight Deck BBQ, and your trying to move aircraft around the towels and flip flops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 2
  11. After 11 years of throwing spanners at naval aircraft I found it was more profitable to break the aircraft than fix them so thats why I transferred to aircrewie!!!!

Kinda makes you think!