Average speed cameras

Stand_Still

Lantern Swinger
Driving down the M6 last night, from junction 16 to 12, I went through 2 sets of road works with 50 mph limits and average speed cameras and I'm curious as to whether they work in the dark. And yes, I know the easiest way to find out is to exceed the limit but I thought it would be cheaper to ask the experts on RR.

TimeToJoinUp

War Hero
The cameras are certainly able to detect in the infra-red band, so in theory they can catch you in the dark. No idea how this works in practice though. There are some suggestions that changing lanes breaks the system, but if this is the case the designers need to be fired.

Rumrat

War Hero
Stand_Still said:
Driving down the M6 last night, from junction 16 to 12, I went through 2 sets of road works with 50 mph limits and average speed cameras and I'm curious as to whether they work in the dark. And yes, I know the easiest way to find out is to exceed the limit but I thought it would be cheaper to ask the experts on RR.
Jesus SS, what kind of narrow boat you got, a Huntress, and did Thing show you the wheels? :roll: :wink: :D

Yes they do work in the dark and the camera is infra red so changing lanes does not help. :evil:

Knew a guy that had his plate , on the back of his bike hinged and whenever he went thru a light , pulled a bit of string and tilted it up

Rumrat

War Hero
cornishgolfer said:
Knew a guy that had his plate , on the back of his bike hinged and whenever he went thru a light , pulled a bit of string and tilted it up
You can now buy revolving number plates, a bloke comes to the local sarnie caravan with one, I will investigate. 8O :roll: :D

Topstop

War Hero
cornishgolfer said:
Those cameras on the M27 worked on the front plate so bikes dont have to worry.( Lucky barstewards) 8O

Waspie

War Hero
The average speed cameras they had on the M5 road works a year or so ago at Exeter operated at night I believe.

Rumrat

War Hero
docherty said:
http://www.toys4cars.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36244

rotating license plates for only £164.90
nice video demonstration.

get some of them on and your problem is sorted. 8) 8)
Thats the ones, but I only ever saw one on a bike. :thumbup:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Perverting the course of justice springs to mind, far more serious penalty than speeding.

Didn't a police chief mention that if you change lanes then the cameras cannot cope with it, but he urged people not to do so :lol: I wonder what he was smoking at the time!
Don't feel too hard done by as ALL the speed cameras in the greater Barcelona area are average time ones. Plus the speed limit is 80kph even on the eight lane ring roads.
Plus, there are regular and random breath tests. You simply step into the back of a van, blow into the machine, and off you go again. I was on a bus which was stopped and none of the pax thought it even remarkable.
Plus, you need to keep an array of documents in the car, the registration, type approval, insurance, and of course always your licence, proof of having paid the local road tax etc.
Anyone over the age of 40 (I suspect that includes a LOT of RR members)must have a five yearly eye test.
You people in the UK don't know you are born :roll:

They used to work on the M2 also, probably still do, knowing Kent Police.

'My' car was slotted at about 30mph above the limit a few years ago near Farthing Corner.
Trouble was when they served me the notice, it wasn't my car at all, but a cloned number plate; different car make totally!
Had to copy all the documentation details before they believed me.

whitemouse said:
They used to work on the M2 also, probably still do, knowing Kent Police.

'My' car was slotted at about 30mph above the limit a few years ago near Farthing Corner.
Trouble was when they served me the notice, it wasn't my car at all, but a cloned number plate; different car make totally!
Had to copy all the documentation details before they believed me.
Of course you had to do that, as a motorist you are automatically guilty until YOU prove otherwise :lol:

Oil_Slick

War Hero
Well, it's also surprising how many cars up north were GASTO's are a plague have back number plates that 'It just fell off Officer and I'll fix it when I get home'…

If they see you it's a fixed penalty notice and fix it… cheaper than a ban for going way faster than you should be.

Rumrat said:
Try this
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...an-avoid-speeding-ticketsby-changing-lanes.do

My pet copper (son) tells me about 60% of prosecutions are for "Dark" offences.
He also verified the lane change dodge, but if they change the camera loom then you fall into the trap by doing so. Having said that he (personally) knows of no such instances of this being done.
Bearing in mind he's a copper and I am an OD, I don't trust him :twisted: 8O :wink:
Dark offenders? The racist bastard.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO performing above the Civil Service Average on wellbeing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Higher than average fines netted for iIlegal fishing MoD News 0
slim Should the average white person apologise for Slavery? Diamond Lil's 26
W Intrigued - average navy wage vs RAF wage? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Tui Bird Average Length time spent in Dockyard Refit Submariners 4
S Average time at sea and time in boat Submariners 5
O Average of a Ship's Company? The Fleet 6
MerseyMan Average medical completion times. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R Average Age in the RFA? RFA 17
BoatyMcBoatFace How much of the world does the average RN sailor see? Travel & The Great Outdoors 114
S How long between PJFT and PRNC on average? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Not your average asthma question Health & Fitness 22
D AET - Average time before being deployed on a ship The Fleet Air Arm 3
S Average Working Day AET? The Fleet Air Arm 10
Q Average time for promotion in RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 20
T Average cadet age? RFA 6
Q Average age for BRNC entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Mongke's_Fist Not your average road trip Charity 106
M Average age of Officer Cadets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
U Not Quite the Average Day….. Current Affairs 0
A Average waiting time to go for aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
B Average age of Recruits Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
D Average Age At Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
_Tim_ Average waiting time for... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
B average RN starting age Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 56
K Average age for ratings Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
seafruit average length? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
creddly Your average 1.5 mile (2.4km) time. (Topic for everyone) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 229
slim Cars slowing for average cameras Current Affairs 25
chrisredditch Not Your Average Draft The Quarterdeck 8
MoD_RSS Innovative new pilot launched to speed up access to key services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speed mentoring event coming soon! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for increase in speed through roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government backed projects to speed up life-saving cancer diagnoses MoD News 0
D HM Ships at speed History 3
MoD_RSS Safeguarding directions for High Speed 2 Phase 2a MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government provides construction sector certainty by confirming 'Notice to proceed' on High Speed 2 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New-build homes to come gigabit-speed ready MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £38 million Homes England funding to speed up development of over 2,000 homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major A12 upgrade to speed up journeys and improve safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New system to simplify and speed up modern slavery referrals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: changes to speed up payments and new guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS High Speed Rail (West Midlands - Crewe) Bill: English Votes for English Laws MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Solar, high speed and wifi charging set to revolutionise electric transport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: High Speed 2 Phase 2b update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government to fund and speed up vital cladding replacement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Highways England unveils self-driving trucks set to speed up roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Progress at Euston as HS2 completes key demolitions on site of London’s new high speed station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £63 million boost to speed up construction of new homes in West Sussex MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: More than 100 rural schools to get gigabit speed broadband MoD News 0