Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

average RN starting age

Big_e

Midshipman
what age did you start RN basic?

and what is the average age of recruits doing their basic?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It varies a good deal. Arguably the average is 27, but often it's less than that. A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a class of 24 new entrants, 3 were over 30.

Black2Blue

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
It varies a good deal. Arguably the average is 27, but often it's less than that. A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a class of 24 new entrants, 3 were over 30.

That's encouraging.

Sea_Dodger

Lantern Swinger
When I was a Phase One instructor I had a guy in one of my classes who joined in the same entry as me 17 years earlier but PVR'ed only to join again aged 34! I would imagine the average age has increased, but mid twentys sounds about right.

How times have changed. In Nelson's day Powder Monkey (3rd Class) would join at the age of 10. In Higgy's (Boy Wafoo) and Nutty's day (Junior Seaman) they joined at 15. In the era of Big-e it's 16 (AB) and in the zeitgeist of the King William V it'll probably be 17 (and the starting rate will be Assistant PO for ratings and Assistant Commander for Ossifers :giggle: ).

When I joined 30 years ago at the grand old age of 16 and 3 months, the average age was around 19/20.

Today I would say the average age is far higher more like 26/28. The oldest recruit I've put in was 36. In fact I had a 33 year old new recruit working in my office whilst awaiting his Submariners course. He is loving it and wishes he'd done it sooner.

Whatever age you are there will be others joining at about the same age as you.

Don't let age be the thing that stops you.

SM

:nemo:

Grim_Reaper said:
So how old was the oldest to join. In fact, is there an age limit with the new age discrimination laws?

For the Royal Navy the oldest you can join as a rating is the day of your 37th B'day. Basically due to the new pension scheme requiring you to do 18 yrs service and the maximum age to serve until is 55.

That said there are a couple of exceptions:-

RM and diver, the maximum age is the day of your 33rd B'day.

Hope this helps

SM

:nemo:

AndyGrayland

Lantern Swinger
There are varying age limits for officers. I think the oldest is 30 currently (for E(IS)) although I'm not entirely sure. It's younger for Warfare, and younger still for submarines IIRC.

If you go to the RN website and look up the career you want it'll tell you what the age limits are.

thingy said:
How times have changed. In Nelson's day Powder Monkey (3rd Class) would join at the age of 10. In Higgy's (Boy Wafoo) and Nutty's day (Junior Seaman) they joined at 15. In the era of Big-e it's 16 (AB) and in the zeitgeist of the King William V it'll probably be 17 (and the starting rate will be Assistant PO for ratings and Assistant Commander for Ossifers :giggle: ).

You really don`t know fukc all do you? Why do you do this? It`s so fukcing funny, me and my mates are curling down, Thingy give it a fukcing break.

AndyGrayland said:
There are varying age limits for officers. I think the oldest is 30 currently (for E(IS)) although I'm not entirely sure. It's younger for Warfare, and younger still for submarines IIRC.

If you go to the RN website and look up the career you want it'll tell you what the age limits are.

Don't worry, I was just curious. I've done my bit already but thanks for the intel'. :thumright:

higthepig said:
thingy said:

You really don`t know fukc all do you? Why do you do this? It`s so fukcing funny, me and my mates are curling down, Thingy give it a fukcing break.

Oh dear. :rendeer:

Sentenashi

War Hero
thingy said:
higthepig said:
thingy said:

Oh dear. :rendeer:

Broke rule number one, had an opinion about hig which is negative. He'll be crying for weeks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO performing above the Civil Service Average on wellbeing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Higher than average fines netted for iIlegal fishing MoD News 0
slim Should the average white person apologise for Slavery? Diamond Lil's 26
W Intrigued - average navy wage vs RAF wage? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Tui Bird Average Length time spent in Dockyard Refit Submariners 4
S Average time at sea and time in boat Submariners 5
O Average of a Ship's Company? The Fleet 6
MerseyMan Average medical completion times. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R Average Age in the RFA? RFA 17
BoatyMcBoatFace How much of the world does the average RN sailor see? Travel & The Great Outdoors 114
S How long between PJFT and PRNC on average? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Not your average asthma question Health & Fitness 22
D AET - Average time before being deployed on a ship The Fleet Air Arm 3
S Average Working Day AET? The Fleet Air Arm 10
Q Average time for promotion in RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 20
T Average cadet age? RFA 6
Q Average age for BRNC entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Mongke's_Fist Not your average road trip Charity 106
M Average age of Officer Cadets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
U Not Quite the Average Day….. Current Affairs 0
A Average waiting time to go for aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
B Average age of Recruits Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
S Average speed cameras Motoring 30
D Average Age At Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
_Tim_ Average waiting time for... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
K Average age for ratings Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
seafruit average length? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
creddly Your average 1.5 mile (2.4km) time. (Topic for everyone) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 229
slim Cars slowing for average cameras Current Affairs 25
chrisredditch Not Your Average Draft The Quarterdeck 8
MoD_RSS Homeowners need to check before starting work near flood defences MoD News 0
SnowGoose My advice for starting Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
E Starting my journey at Raleigh 7th October Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS £30,000 starting salaries proposed for teachers MoD News 0
R Starting Jan 6th RFA 5
Max9393 Starting at raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J Pay: Starting Salary Vs Salary From Day one Vs Minimum After training? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
E Starting a new relationship months before starting training. Joining the Royal Navy 17
0 Hms raleigh starting date ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Starting BRNC in January- Potential role change? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Subadubdub Starting FEB 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Starting Raleigh for an Apprenticeship. RFA 3
U Anyone starting Raleigh on January? RFA 12
A Anyone Starting at HMS Raleigh this September? RFA 18
J Starting October RFA 3
L HMS Raleigh - Starting Date 24th September - Anyone else? Joining the Royal Navy 2
S Starting pay Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Starting 5th Feb anyone else? HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 17
T Starting sep 2016? RFA 20
CRRW The Stages to starting your journey with the Royal Navy.. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10