Average of a Ship's Company?

OldGuns

As a consultant I love using the analogy of a ship's company to co-ordinate and 'get stuff done' without endless instructions and (god help us dozens of emails a day!). I usually use a carrier as the example and get 'civvies' to visualise those cracking scenes from 'Top Gun' showing the shots of the US Flatop at flying stations launching and recovering fast jets and everything happening all over the ship to launch and recover the aircraft in a short time. I usually give little snippets of what is going on in all the main locations depts, Flight deck, Flyco, Bridge, Ops room (threat management and fighter control), MCR, hangars... and so on.

Once they begin to get the sense of complexity involved in what has to be a safe working environment I then ask them 2 questions:
1. What do you think is the average age on board? -I usually say this is 22.5 but would love to know a more accurate average age.
2. How do they do it? the response is usually a sea of blank faces lol

Can anyone help me with the average age of a modern carrier? Invincible would do or the old Ark Royal to be honest, if there are any sensitivities of the average age of HMS Queen Elizabeth' s Ship's Company. I suppose I could make an FOI request too!

fishhead

War Hero
(HMS) Queen Elizabeth left the womb so to speak 7 weeks ago. Very much still in nappies.
I think he wants the average age of the crew members. I have no idea but I would guess at early 20s as statistically junior rates form the largest part of the ship company.

G

guestm

No real way of telling other than asking everyone, and FOI requests are an enormous, wasteful burden.

It's certainly significantly higher than 22.5. You're looking more in the 26 or 27 range. Some of the seniors are very senior. @Ninja_Stoker can probably attest to the average age of new joiners being higher than historical averages too. A lot of our fresh out the box ratings are some way past their teenage years.

Archangel

Badgeman
If you crawl through the MOD website, you'll find annual Trained Strength statistics for the Royal Navy. This will might the average age, by rank (OF2, OR3, OR5 etc), for each branch.

This is the best that I could come up with from a quick search - Average Age on Promotion. I can't comment as to the specific make-up of each ship, but as @fishhead has mentioned, a crew is mostly Junior Rates. Find out the average length of service for first promotion and you can make some fairly robust conclusions from that.

Navy Age.png

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...8/20170515_-_RN_RM_Quarterly_Pocket_Brief.pdf

No, you can't (at least for Officers). The OF2 and 3 ages are skewed substantially by the large number of UYs and SUYs. For a while, the average age for promotion to Cdr in the WE branch was lower than the average age to Lt Cdr...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D AET - Average time before being deployed on a ship The Fleet Air Arm 3
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO performing above the Civil Service Average on wellbeing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Higher than average fines netted for iIlegal fishing MoD News 0
slim Should the average white person apologise for Slavery? Diamond Lil's 26
W Intrigued - average navy wage vs RAF wage? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Tui Bird Average Length time spent in Dockyard Refit Submariners 4
S Average time at sea and time in boat Submariners 5
MerseyMan Average medical completion times. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R Average Age in the RFA? RFA 17
BoatyMcBoatFace How much of the world does the average RN sailor see? Travel & The Great Outdoors 114
S How long between PJFT and PRNC on average? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Not your average asthma question Health & Fitness 22
S Average Working Day AET? The Fleet Air Arm 10
Q Average time for promotion in RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 20
T Average cadet age? RFA 6
Q Average age for BRNC entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Mongke's_Fist Not your average road trip Charity 106
M Average age of Officer Cadets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
U Not Quite the Average Day….. Current Affairs 0
A Average waiting time to go for aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
B Average age of Recruits Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
S Average speed cameras Motoring 30
D Average Age At Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
_Tim_ Average waiting time for... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
B average RN starting age Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 56
K Average age for ratings Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
seafruit average length? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
creddly Your average 1.5 mile (2.4km) time. (Topic for everyone) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 229
slim Cars slowing for average cameras Current Affairs 25
chrisredditch Not Your Average Draft The Quarterdeck 8
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS UK Ship Register Information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Braemar Cruise Ship: Foreign Office Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement on the Grand Princess cruise ship MoD News 0
soleil Afloat: "Large UK Naval Auxiliary Replenishment Ship Completes Special Survey In Merseyside Shipyard" RFA 3
B Hypersonic attack(s) on ship building yards Current Affairs 38
soleil Navy News (FB): North Shields - HMS Northumberland - Ship Open To Visitors - Saturday, February 8th 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil T-23 Ship Systems Controls Simulator Trainer - Vacancy - Gosport - Closing Date 07 Feb 2020 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
MoD_RSS London model ship builder helps chart the course of Qatar’s history MoD News 0
RumCorps HMAS Choules - A cruise ship without the pina coladas International 1
Happy Day Ship's Library! The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Test site to help develop autonomous ship work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New ship to boost safe navigation in UK seas MoD News 0
A visit to ship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp HMS Argyll: Navy crew saves 27 from burning ship The Fleet 1
J Ship shift length Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS News story: Government stakeholders endorse DASA’s safety at sea competition - Get the Ship in Shape: accounting for, and tracking, personnel MoD News 0