Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Average Length time spent in Dockyard Refit

Tui Bird

Badgeman
I would be grateful to know the average time spent in the Dockyard on refitting the older diesel boats --like the 'A' , the 'T' , the 'P&O' . I stood by a full strip down refit of AMPHION in 1953 . We were snorting on our way from Scotland to Portsmouth , when the No 8 cylinder starboard blew up --stripped timing gear ,so as we were due to go into the Dockyard anyway in 4 months ,they it moved forward .
Everything came out --ballast pump , compressors and so on to be refurbished . And of course the battery --I think we got a new snort mast (after AFFRAY ) --- didn't look much different --just strengthened inside '

We got sabotaged -- the induction hull valve played up after we moved over to Dolphin when we recommissioned and a linen bag full of bolts etc where lodged on the spider above the valve -- men in dark suits came and stared up at the hole as we watched from the motor room . And that was that !
Anyway I would like to know the average length of a diesel boat full refit , please. As it looking back it, seemed only about 8 months --I was living ashore with my wife and we can't really remember , but I have been reading a book talking about 2 years ???

Polto

War Hero
I have P&O boat experience but never completed a full refit. I did complete three DEDs and part of a refit though. I seem to recall that 2 years is about right for a full refit. The expectation was around 18 months but generally it was always longer, from the dits I recall hearing. My partial refit was on Walrus in Rosyth and I'm fairly certain that was a two year extravaganza.

Tui Bird

Badgeman
Thanks for that , may I ask another O&P class question --- what was the maximum time these boats could remain submerged on battery (say 90 ) feet, at about 4 knots. I have just read 48 hours , but on an 'A' as I recall ,we were getting in a dangerous crew state at about 24 hours with those not on watch ordered to keep inactive and lie down? It seems to me the sort of kit the SSN have with a virtually unlimited auxiliary electrical supply , would take far too much space and power to fit in an 'O' ?

Polto

War Hero
I reckon 48 hours max is about right. We would be on the deck long before then trying to light our cigarettes, the galley would be shut down and there would be quite a lot of enforced inactivity. I don't think you would get SSN kit inside an O class if you wanted a crew in there as well!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
seafruit average length? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
R What is the average day of a Warfare Officer (submarines) whilst on patrol? Submariners 3
F Average Day in the CIS branch RFA 0
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO performing above the Civil Service Average on wellbeing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Higher than average fines netted for iIlegal fishing MoD News 0
slim Should the average white person apologise for Slavery? Diamond Lil's 26
W Intrigued - average navy wage vs RAF wage? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S Average time at sea and time in boat Submariners 5
O Average of a Ship's Company? The Fleet 6
MerseyMan Average medical completion times. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R Average Age in the RFA? RFA 17
BoatyMcBoatFace How much of the world does the average RN sailor see? Travel & The Great Outdoors 114
S How long between PJFT and PRNC on average? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Not your average asthma question Health & Fitness 22
D AET - Average time before being deployed on a ship The Fleet Air Arm 3
S Average Working Day AET? The Fleet Air Arm 10
Q Average time for promotion in RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 20
T Average cadet age? RFA 6
Q Average age for BRNC entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Mongke's_Fist Not your average road trip Charity 106
M Average age of Officer Cadets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
U Not Quite the Average Day….. Current Affairs 0
A Average waiting time to go for aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
B Average age of Recruits Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
S Average speed cameras Motoring 30
D Average Age At Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
_Tim_ Average waiting time for... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
B average RN starting age Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 56
K Average age for ratings Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
creddly Your average 1.5 mile (2.4km) time. (Topic for everyone) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 229
slim Cars slowing for average cameras Current Affairs 25
chrisredditch Not Your Average Draft The Quarterdeck 8
G Why is Length of Service so short? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
M Seaman Apprenticeship length? RFA 9
B Marine Engineering phase 2 Course length?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Contract length AA Air Engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J Ship shift length Joining the Royal Navy 5
S Contract Length Joining the Royal Navy 4
W Length of training to be a weapons engineer Submariners 12
J Length of service for Reserves officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S RFA Seamanship - Interview length question RFA 4
J Sift stage length? RFA 2
J Service length for a diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Officer Entry - Length of initial medical process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
R Tour Frequency and Length Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
H Newbie. Pay/Length of a deployment? Submariners 19
frogman007 Not Me Chief what a length Diamond Lil's 16
D Submariner length of service. Submariners 6
davemac32 AET phase 2a length The Fleet Air Arm 2
C20 Length of FATS?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4