Average age of Recruits

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by bartman11, Jan 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all....

Can I please as for advice or guidance, have received some already and i'm grateful for that.

Here I go, I am looking into the prospect of joining the Navy and was wondering what the average age is for recruits here. Reason being is I am 33 years of age and part of me is thinking that i may be over my head before I start.

Did anyone train with someone a lot older than them?.... I know that roles are upto the age of 36, but would i be out of my deph training with younger recruits.... Based on fitness etc

Should I be put off by this or still just go for it?

2. The average age of recruits is 20 years old

3. I'll start with one piece of advice for which you will always be grateful:

call on or ring your local Royal Navy Careers Advisors this week.

I'm advising this because there are very real waiting times for many Navy jobs; you need to start your application process now because the ideal job for you might be one for which you are going to have to wait 12/18 months or more.

The average age of the Royal Navy recruit is rising all the time. There will be other joiners in your age group, believe me. Looked at logically, if candidates in their thirties weren't going to make the grade, the Royal Navy wouldn't waste time and energy training them.

As long as you pass your RT, medical, eyesight test, interview, fitness test and security clearance, there is no reason why you should not join and do well. Bear in mind, your maturity might well be your best asset.

Anyway, crack on!

4. I start my divers at either 29,30. From experience i usually find the older guys fitter and more switched on, hence working their way up quicker, or moving on to other things.

5. Hi Bartman,

We see people in the careers office form about 14 to 40. As Soleil says the average age of recruits has increased and it's very likely now days that you wouldn't be the only 30 year old in your entry.

The waiting times are increasing all the time. So if you think you want to apply or even might want to, getting into your local careers office ASAP is a must. You can always back out, but the longer you leave it the more people will be ahead of you in the allocation pipeline.

Hope this helps, give it a go you have nothing to lose and everything to gain

SM

:)

6. I'm 35 in February.

My mortgage is holding me back at the moment. I'm hoping to get this sorted by April/May time. Hopefully then the ball will be rolling again.

Looking at the waiting time for AET i'll be 36 if and when i get a joining date.

Can't fercking wait though. :D

7. Looks like the end of the 'skin and essence junior' doesn't it?

8. Generally, most people who join a bit later on in life don't get treated like shoite during their first sea draft, like us young thrusters. Saying that, I joined at 16 and wouldn't change a thing. Real men do boys time.

9. Hey there,

I passed out of Raleigh in November and I'm 35 and female. I really worried about the fitness as I am by no means an athlete by any stretch of the imagination, and unsurprisingly the slowest runner most of the time. My tuppence worth in regards to fitness is this. Aim to achieve a 1.5 mile time that is required for your final fitness test BEFORE you start Raleigh. This will mean you will have no chance of going on remedial fitness. Also make sure you can do the required number of push ups and sit ups before you join. I would post a link to the fitness standards but I'm on my iPhone.....

Don't worry if you can't always keep up with the younger ones, if you pass all your tests and put in maximum effort you will have no problems.

I was the oldest in my class by 10 years but there were plenty in training in their 30's. If it's what you want then go for it. I am loving it. Prepare to be treated like a 16 year old along with the rest of the class, but you will find the instructors very helpful on an individual basis.

Best of luck,

KF

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ah, long time no hear KF !

Well done on passing out last November & hope you have a smashing career ahead. :wink:

11. Hey Kiwi, what would you say has been the worst part of it so far? I'm female and 32. Well done.

12. Thanks Ninja, loving it so far and off to sea in a couple of months.

Tuts, I can't say anything was really that bad looking back. Time is tight, there are never enough hours in the day! The only thing that got to me in the slightest was the arguing amongst the class as there were a few clashes of personality. I was deputy class leader and kind of took it as a poor reflection on me that everyone wasn't getting on. Eventually I realised it had nothing to do with me and some people are just plain knobheads!

It's really all down to attitude and effort, and Raleigh is only 9 weeks of hard work for an amazing job.

KF

13. Thanx Kiwi-Fi

And to all of you who responded to my request, age is a number only :)
    so why should I let it stop me, I got a presentation date booked for the 9th Feb & will attend... But I feel as I need to get to the AFCO sooner than that to get the ball rolling, so I will be going today to speak to them......

In order to prepare for the test I have just ordered these from Amazon

"Practice Tests for the Armed Forces: Entry Level (Succeed at Psychometric Testing)" and "Bond 11+ Test Papers: Standard: Mixed Pack 1 (Bond Assessment Papers)".....

I left school in 1992 so I need to get cracking on what I have missed lol...

So cheers again all and maybe one day well meet again :)

14. hi bartman im 33 and in 2 months time 34 and i just got through application and awaiting a joining date so what have you got to lose if your heart and mind are in joining the navy are there do it there are a lot of youngsters joining because thats the macho easy thing (not being disrespectful there) go to your local afco and speak to them and good luck im sure you wont regret it

15. Cheers Mark33

What trade are you going into?

I will try for logistics, just hope i get past the RT..... as long as it's over 50 i should be ok.

16. Thanks for response KF, much appreciated. :)

17. hi bartman i going in as et(mesm)

18. No your not. As an ME and a submariner you are joining as a (potential) God amongst men (and women...sorry laydeez)

19. Clearly not a God of good grammar! Get on depth ffs Wrecker :D