Average age of Officer Cadets

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mrk1, Oct 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

This is my first time on here but thought I should finally sign up (rum ration at least). Good news is I am waiting for my AIB date and thoroughly looking forward to it.
    My question concerns age of recruits, I am 28 at the mo and going for Logs. If I do make it through to BRNC does anyone know if this is old for recruits, am I goinbg to be a distinct minority?
    I have asked at the AFCO and although being very useful they are always programmed to tell you the most positive answer!

Just looking for some first hand honest advice? Its not an issue just wondering how I will be viewed (potentially favoured for training) against others who are younger.

Thanks all

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The AFCO will tell it like it is.

If you're too old, you will be told.

At BRNC there are plenty of Officers going through training who are older than 28. Will you be the oldest in your entry? Unlikely.

Age is not an issue, ability is.

3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The average age is about the 23-24 yr old mark - so you will be older than most but not the only one.

4. As ninja says, there will be people younger and older than yourself in training at BRNC. That said you will be one of the older ones, but that can certainly work to your advantage as you will have far more life experiences to use.

Good luck at AIB

SM

5. Hi Guys

Thank you all for your responses, muchly appreciated.

Kind Regards

6. To be a nay-sayer - age is definately an issue, and if you join now, I doubt you'll be promoted much beyond Lt Cdr (i.e. not to Cdr). This may, or may not, be a problem for you, but don't think that joining at your age is without it's drawbacks.