Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Average Age in the RFA?

Hello guys,

I am new on the forum and have got my Interview in Portsmouth in a few weeks and was just wondering how many people my age there will be in the RFA I am 23 and it seems to be mostly people 40+ on the forums here. I don't mind of-course was just curious as to how many younger people actually serve in the RFA or are they mostly found in the RN?

Thanks!

Plenty of our Cadets and Apprentices are straight out of school. We also recruit a lot of people who fancy a change of career (some already qualified, some who need to be trained). I have found generally its not the age of the body, its the age of spirit, frankly most seafarers RN, RFA and MN seem to be stuck in Peter Pan mode and never seem to grow up :D

FYI in my intake to the RFA there were 3 of us 30 or over and the other dozen or so were in their late teens/early 20s.

Okay thanks that's cleared things up for me. At my Recruitment Test there were only Marine hopefuls except for me so didn't get a chance to speak to any RFA peoples. I am really looking forward to finally meeting some next week in Portsmouth!

I'm afraid you won't see any potential recruits at your interview. The only RFA personnel you'll see are the ones questioning you. You can always make it one of your questions.

The only RFA personnel you'll see are the ones questioning you.

This is because very few of us work ashore, so most RFA personnel are either on a ship, on course or on leave.

Perhaps ask if they could arrange for you to visit one of our ships so you can actually see your future. There is normally one or two stooging around the uk.

Starting Training in January , im 19 in my class there is a 16yr old, a couple of early 20s and a 40year old.
Nice to know man. Out of curiosity how long ago did you have your interview at Portsmouth just trying to get a handle on how long till ill start my training if I get in? Thanks.

Last edited:
I think that the glib answer is that most RFAs are like a casting call for cocoon, but that's not really accurate. I would probably say that the average age is in the area of late 30's to mid 40's. I do however now see a lot more young people on board as we are recruiting new entrants. If you're looking for a 18-30 holiday - join the Navy and come to us when you've grown up!

I think that the glib answer is that most RFAs are like a casting call for cocoon, but that's not really accurate. I would probably say that the average age is in the area of late 30's to mid 40's. I do however now see a lot more young people on board as we are recruiting new entrants. If you're looking for a 18-30 holiday - join the Navy and come to us when you've grown up!
As I said I was curious, I wasn't asking if its gonna be a lads party all the time i'm 23 not 16.

Latest Threads