Auxiliary Yacht Orca

Dear all, I have a particular question for the ones who know a lot about RN auxiliary yachts during WW2. I am Dutch and my grand uncle served as an agent in SOE during 1941-1945. Unfortunately he was caught by the Gestapo five weeks after landing on 29. March 1942 in occupied Holland and perished at KZ Mauthausen aged 26 on 21. April 1945.
Having said that I am investigating his life on behalf of my family and for this went into great detail. He was trained as an agent in silent killing but also toggling and 'boating' (learning how to land in an occupied country by sea) at Arisaig, Scotland where SOE had en establishment in Arisaig House; a hunting lodge. At Tarbet Bay, near Mallaig, SOE had a special small harbour and house (STS=Special Training School 23B) at Swordlands and a boat squad consisting of several small boats, dinghies and folbots, but also the two auxilary yachts Orca and Risor (46,5 ft.). Risor I tracked down and now has been refurbished and is still sailing in Norway. Orca remains a mystery to me. I have nothing more on it than the following scrap of paper from the National Archives in Kew:
1521215466221.gif Part dealing with Para-Naval training. from a Syllabus on SOE Paramilitary Training in Arisaig.[1]

[1] From TNA in Kew. HS8/435. History of the Training Section of SOE. 1940 - 1945.

I hope that someone may know more about the Orca. I did find a yacht called Orca on internet which was built in 1910 but that doesn't say much, does it?
Thanks for thinking with me and have a nice weekend! Joost

Thanks very much for this link Janner! I looked at the Dutch motor yacht with the same name. but I think it may be a postwar vessel...? Furthermore, why should it be a Dutch ship at all? All the vessels, to my mind, were British. Even the Risor, built in the UK for Norway and then bought by a British company in 1936...Shouldn't we be looking for a sailing boat? Thanks once again.
Has my question been moved to the historical section?
Best regards, Joost

Joost

The reference source I think you need is Lloyd's Register. You will need to look through a spread of editions covering a series of years.

I don't know whether this is something you have easy access to. I do, because I occasionally use the maritime collection at the Guildhall Library in London. I probably won't be able to get there before Easter, but I will try to go there during the week after Easter. I will call up Lloyds Register for a spread of years and peruse it for you.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Joost

The reference source I think you need is Lloyd's Register. You will need to look through a spread of editions covering a series of years.

I don't know whether this is something you have easy access to. I do, because I occasionally use the maritime collection at the Guildhall Library in London. I probably won't be able to get there before Easter, but I will try to go there during the week after Easter. I will call up Lloyds Register for a spread of years and peruse it for you.
The Heritage & Education Centre Library has a complete collection of the Lloyd’s Register of Yachts 1878 to 1980, and Lloyd’s Register of Classed Yachts 1981 to 1996, 1999, 2000.
Search there.

Thanks Soleil and Ratsroden. I would be much obliged is you could do that for me! On Alamy I found (see "vintage wooden ketch Orca") a yacht by that name that might be a prewar ship, wouldn't you agree? Best regards, Joost

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Thanks Soleil and Ratsroden. I would be much obliged is you could do that for me! On Alamy I found (see "vintage wooden ketch Orca") a yacht by that name that might be a prewar ship, wouldn't you agree? Best regards, Joost
A pleasure.
I 'm old enough to remember some very pleasant drinking sessions aboard Karel Doorman with some fine Dutch aviators.

Attachments

Dear all, I have found a bit more on HMY Orca during WW2 from an SOE file in TNA in Kew: It's a Brixham Trawler, made of wood with sails and an engine. It was supposed to be 94 foot long, which is quite a large Brixham Trawler and was probably built in 1934 or sometime close....Can anybody help me find a picture of it? There are only 5 Brixham Trawlers left of a fleet that amounted to almost 2000 at some time...Best, Joost

Latest Threads