Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic bar to entry?

Foggy06

Hello All,

Sorry for the strong first post, I was wondering if I could ask for some advice seeing as this is probably the best place on the internet to ask and there's some very knowledgable people here.

I'm looking to join the Royal Navy Reserves however I'm worried about the medical stage as I am currently on a prescription of lansoprazole for Heartburn/acid reflux which is a once daily pill. Is this likely to fail me at the medical stage? And if so is there likely to be a time period I'd need to show I've been off the prescription/symptom free?

I don't know how big a deal this is even but I've heard that a lot of recruits are failing at the medical stage for a variety of reasons and as I'm about to enter the process I'd be gutted to get that far and fail.

As far as I'm aware I don't have any actual disease such as GERD/GORD as I've had a scope down my throat and if I'm being honest with myself the source of it is likely to be down to lifestyle choice and significant weight gain as when I was trim and playing sport I didn't have this issue.

I've already had a strong word with myself and my intention is to loose a few stone in weight and completely revamp my diet to see if this hopefully helps as even if it's not a bar it would be nice to not have heartburn.

I've done a lot of googling, hours even, and I can't seem to find anything specific that answers it either way either from Royal Navy official sites, on here, Arrse and even RAF sites.

The general medical entry requirements aren't too specific in this area and I've asked some friends who are ex serving HM Forces and they can't see how it could cause a problem but then others whose posts I've read in a similar situation to mine on Arrse don't seem so positive albeit that's Army recruitment.

I know there are no certainties but can anyone with any experience or enough knowledge to make an educated assessment as to what my odds are like? I'd be ever so grateful as I'm really excited about signing up. Thanks.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The medical standards for entry are broadly tri service and definitive guidance with regard, individual medical suitability can only be given by a qualified service medical professional once in possession of your full medical history relating to a condition.

In order to manage expectations, the rough rule of thumb is applicants who have specific dietry needs or are reliant on medication for ongoing conditions are often going to have significant issues with regard meeting the medical standards for entry.

The maximum bmi is 28 with a waist measurement (around the belly) of less than 94 cms. Those with a bmi under 18 or over 28 cannot be passed fit to enter service under normal circumstances. Yes, even weightlifters, bodybuilders and rugby players.

Sumo

War Hero
good luck as a long standing member of BMI greater than 28, losing weight can help reflux, not a dietary issue but just the volume of the stuff you eat and drink, and often the junk food you eat, speak to you GP about weight so he can make a record and monitor your progress, tell him why you are doing this, so when your med docs are looked at by a Naval doc they can see what you have been doing and form their medical opinion from them?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Naval_Gazer A Petition - Maximum automatic penalties for damaging Military Memorials Petitions 32
MoD_RSS Automatic early release of terrorists ends MoD News 0
MoD_RSS End to automatic early release of terrorists MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Small business shines light on success of automatic enrolment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Automatic verification and fusion of open-source intelligence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD Automatic Test Equipment centre of excellence MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch Automatic Door Engineer - London - £23K - £28K OTE £40K The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Automatic Door Engineer (Greater London/M25) - London - £23K - £28K OTE £40K The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
W Dive Bar - Chatham The Gash Barge 7
F Can't get bank account due to marker. Is this a bar to entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Eurocopter EC135T1, corrosion-initiated fracture of a main rotor actuator tie bar MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Looking back at 125 years of the Bar Council MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Export bar placed on rare bronze sculpture by François Girardon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Export bar placed on Liss masterpiece MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Crossed the Bar The Quarterdeck 19
C Inhalers a bar to entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Export bar placed on unique 18th century work by Joseph Wright of Derby MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity that ran a bar turns around following statutory inquiry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Export Bar placed on Renaissance casket in a bid to keep it in UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 raises the bar on emissions standards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Annual Bar and Young Bar Conference 2018: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Professional Entry Scheme: Bar Council app to be tested at five new courts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Local courts and tribunals help to raise the bar on provision of refreshments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Advocate General for Northern Ireland, Geoffrey Cox QC MP called to the Bar MoD News 0
2_deck_dash Sad news. Stan the Man has crossed the bar. Diamond Lil's 43
I Informing of two crossing the bar Nearest & Dearest 5
N Potential Medical Bar to Entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Origins of the term "crossing the bar"?! The Quarterdeck 21
Stirlin Bar Convent...York. Hobbies & The Great Indoors 0
W Powder Inhaler bar to entry? Health & Fitness 2
Stirlin The Rum Bar. Diamond Lil's 0
Monty.T Back problem.. A bar from entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Dredd Humourless bar stewards Diamond Lil's 2
scouse Crossing the Bar History 6
janner One night in the bar Miscellaneous 0
Sharkey Woman walks into bar Miscellaneous 0
admiralscruff Is the chat bar back? Site Issues 13
wave_dodger Promotion bar dips not once but twice.... The Quarterdeck 2
fishhead Bar Staff Beware Miscellaneous 4
A L S G C and BAR Diamond Lil's 18
WreckerL Texas Bar, Lisbon Diamond Lil's 16
S Address Bar Logo Site Issues 0
Rumrat Crossing The Bar Nearest & Dearest 20
G Another bar joke Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Th Bar Miscellaneous 0
Shakey This duck walks into a bar... Blue Jokes 3
sgtpepperband Five Bar Hotel Open In Manchester This Christmas... Diamond Lil's 8
Joint_Force_Harrier Bar Names Diamond Lil's 38
O Bar manager: Gentleman's Club, Mayfair. The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
3yearstilltx Crossing the bar Site Issues 0