Autism and vaccinations

Karma said:
dhoby_bucket said:
Since there is even the slightest doubt, why are the govt still preventing parents from opting for X3 single vaccinations? Is it just to "prove a point"?..

So you never cross the road, because there is always a marginal risk of getting knocked down.

I'm assuming you don't keep your money in a bank either, there is a small risk of it going bust and you losing the lot.

You don't have any form of life insurance, because clearly life bears no risk in your world.

Meanwhile, back in the real world. Why should the NHS not bear risk on the treatments it delivers? If there is no risk to be borne, which treatments should they stop delivering because they can't afford them?

Actually, I'm a stockbroker so I do know how to asses levels of risk etc, but I'm not prepared to risk my childrens future for something like this where there is still arguments re the safety aspect of it... As I stated above "why are the govt still preventing parents from opting for X3 single vaccinations? Is it just to "prove a point"?

OSLO

War Hero
dhoby_bucket said:
Karma said:
dhoby_bucket said:
Since there is even the slightest doubt, why are the govt still preventing parents from opting for X3 single vaccinations? Is it just to "prove a point"?..

So you never cross the road, because there is always a marginal risk of getting knocked down.

I'm assuming you don't keep your money in a bank either, there is a small risk of it going bust and you losing the lot.

You don't have any form of life insurance, because clearly life bears no risk in your world.

Meanwhile, back in the real world. Why should the NHS not bear risk on the treatments it delivers? If there is no risk to be borne, which treatments should they stop delivering because they can't afford them?

Actually, I'm a stockbroker so I do know how to asses levels of risk etc, but I'm not prepared to risk my childrens future for something like this where there is still arguments re the safety aspect of it... As I stated above "why are the govt still preventing parents from opting for X3 single vaccinations? Is it just to "prove a point"?

If you're a stock broker, you also know about unsubstantiated rumour. The perception of a link between autism and MMR was fabrication stemming from the ill-disciplined work of one doctor. From what I can tell, there has never been a proper, peer-reviewed and provable link between them. So as far as "risking my children's safety", there is no more risk to them from giving them the MMR than crossing the road (to use the example above). Let me state that plainly: there are no "arguments re safety aspect of it" (paraphrasing your statement above). Only the Daily Mail (an ill-disciplined, ignorant paper if ever there was one) thinks otherwise.

higthepig said:
This is not an argument about jabs, it is really about the triple jab, if a parent has doubts why can they not elect for single ones, as i said is it cost or is it the Government being Stubborn or being controlled by the jab companies?

The governments case is that the the MMR jab gives the best protection at the lowest risk thus should be the way forward. As it is not only has every study into the suggested link between MMR and Autism shown that there is no link, but the original research that made the suggestion has been shown to be carried out very badly to the extent the doctor involved was charged with professional misconduct and I think struck off.

As things stand at the moment it would appear that the least risky approach is to use the MMR vacine

Edited to point out he has not yet been struck off, the hearing starts next week

dhoby_bucket said:
Karma said:
dhoby_bucket said:

They are sticking with the MMR because all the research shows that not only is it safe, but it is safer than the single vacine. The research that suggested the link with autism has been so discredited now that not only have the co-authors withdrawn their conclusions but also the originator is being accused of professional misconduct (the hearing starts next Monday) and may be struck off as a result. Now in my books that would suggest that believing there is a link is perhaps not the safest path for a parent on the basis of the available reliable evidence.

oberon

Lantern Swinger
higthepig said:
This is not an argument about jabs, it is really about the triple jab, if a parent has doubts why can they not elect for single ones, as i said is it cost or is it the Government being Stubborn or being controlled by the jab companies?

My daughter is 20 months and has just had her MMR jag. We did ask about single shot but were told we couldn't get it on the NHS, if we went private we could get the 3-singles but would cost £100 per jag. Make of that what yu want but someone is making dosh hand over fist on the back of this scare!

oberon said:
higthepig said:

My daughter is 20 months and has just had her MMR jag. We did ask about single shot but were told we couldn't get it on the NHS, if we went private we could get the 3-singles but would cost £100 per jag. Make of that what yu want but someone is making dosh hand over fist on the back of this scare!

The government is being stuborn for the benefit of your kid thay say. The MMR jab is supposed to be safer for the rugrat.

War Hero
dhoby_bucket said:
Actually, I'm a stockbroker so I do know how to asses levels of risk etc, but I'm not prepared to risk my childrens future for something like this where there is still arguments re the safety aspect of it...

Well in that line of work you'll also appreciate the arguments for cost-effectiveness.

As I stated above "why are the govt still preventing parents from opting for X3 single vaccinations? Is it just to "prove a point"?

Presumably because most parents aren't properly equipped to make an adequately informed risk assessment, based on the available information.

sparkerbuntingnowcis

Lantern Swinger
My son is autistic and he had the MMR jab. Both me and the wife don't blame the MMR jab on his condition. I believe it's just the way nature is. The only reason there are now more cases is that the diagonosis is much better these days.
For those parents who don't have their children jabbed remember measels kills, autism doesn't.

Latest Threads