Australian Indigenous troubles

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by hobbit, Jun 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attempts to provide the Australian indigenous people with a satisfactory way of life appears to have failed badly . Violence , substance abuse and child abuse are rife apparently . Something needed to be done and the PM has certainly left nothing to chance sending in the cavalry . Long overdue unfortunately and an almost impossible situation to resolve but many hope there can be something worthwhile achieved . The point of the comment is that so many resources are funnelled overseas while this has been happening right here , Cynically , it is an election year

NT survey teams, troops 'well-received'
    Wednesday Jun 27 16:59 AEST
    Survey teams and troops sent into remote Northern Territory Aboriginal communities as part of the federal government's intervention to stamp out child abuse have been "well received", Indigenous Affairs Minister Mal Brough says.

Some Aboriginal families were reported to have fled their homes and sought refuge in the bush fearing their children could be removed.

But Mr Brough on Wednesday said: "Contrary to the reports that some people tried to portray prior to the arrival of survey teams, early indications are that the teams have been well received in the communities they have visited".

The survey teams, supported logistically by NORFORCE troops, started to roll into central Australian settlements, including Mutitjulu at Uluru, earlier on Wednesday.

They will work with the communities to prepare them for the planned deployment next week of police officers sourced from the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and the states.

The teams also will assess the infrastructure needs of the townships.

"The people in those teams are getting on with the job," Mr Brough said.

"We don't anticipate any difficulties with them reporting back by Friday."

2. Well I suppose it makes a change from rounding them up for 'turkey' shoots.

3. One of the problems has been the development what has been named the Aboriginal Industry . So many have their fingers in the pie they do not want change . Big money for some and a never ending supply of candidates for the police , courts , prisons and , of course , the legal eagles . With Australian law and traditional laws clashing many issues become confused and mucho money is involved trying to sort it out . Probably like many situations where those with their Fs ITP don't want it sorted as the good times may end . Parasites .

4. Any better ideas? Remember, the NT Government have had the responsibility for this debacle, and have done SFA. They sat on the commissioned report for 3-4 months before releasing it, and then did....nothing. Good on JH for standing up to the doomsayers, not that anything will stop those who want to blame anything and everything on the Feds, or the carping demands all day everyday on ABC Talkback radio that we mustn't actually do anything, we must consult more :pissedoff:

5. The NT , as you are no doubt aware , is still not an independent state . Canberra still has a lot of power over the place including that of overturning laws enacted by the NT . The big question being asked is why for so long was nothing done.Now looking shaky in the polls and an election looming anything and everything is being done . That doesn't alter the fact that something is being done and hopefully will achieve something but that ? remains , why so long and in an election year . That's the way it appears to many apparently . Forgive my cynicism but we're each allowed an opinion and it is still a democracy , at the moment .

Incidently I do have other ideas and have had for years being directly involved in this area . The Aboriginal Industry is very powerful however.

One of my major concerns is Groote Eylandt where there is a form of illness in the population known as the Groote Eylandt Syndrome . This was investigated by an English scientist who reported the population is being poisined through the open manganese mune . I'll give you the web-site if interested

6. [quote="hobbit]The NT , as you are no doubt aware , is still not an independent state . Canberra still has a lot of power over the place including that of overturning laws enacted by the NT . The big question being asked is why for so long was nothing done.Now looking shaky in the polls and an election looming anything and everything is being done . That doesn't alter the fact that something is being done and hopefully will achieve something but that ? remains , why so long and in an election year . That's the way it appears to many apparently . Forgive my cynicism but we're each allowed an opinion and it is still a democracy , at the moment .[/quote]

I'm well versed in the area, from Derby through to the Cape. I'm also very cynical of those who cry "nuffinks been done for years", rather than embrace a positive move and support it.

My opinion.

7. Where's the link to this story?

8. Here's one right Here :)