Austrailian Army in Afghanistan (or Medal of Honor)?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Seadog, Mar 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

An interesting article. Most of the Aussies i ever came across were consumate professionals with a fondness for drink. I particularly liked this bit;

"Colonel Smith also said in the report that younger soldiers were spoilt, needy and had a "distorted and fanciful perception of wartime soldiering" based on "stereotypical images of special forces soldiers, and characters from films and computer games".

"The hyperbole surrounding the contribution of Australian soldiers in Afghanistan makes the soldiers feel entitled to be treated almost as Roman gladiators," he said.

"They give the impression that they expect everyone, including their superiors, to lavish them with attention and unregulated time when between tasks."

How times change.

3. The last ten-ish years has been a hard slog for all involved, but Col Smiths comments hit the nail on the head in my opinion. I do not envy my successors having to maintain standards.

4. Blackrat

Indeed. I used to love going on exercise when attached to the Infantry. Tabbing, stagging on, patrolling and getting wet aside, Infantry hours were quite simple. When not doing any of the aforementioned - rest. Simple really. In some ways, the modern military is quite spoilt.

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Sing; "Kiss me good night Sergeant Major".

Every generation claims that the one behind are soft, deluded, needy, below par. Such sentiments are no longer the jealous rantings of bitter old men.

I expect that among those who don't appreciate the danger that they are in are some good guys who despair that some / many of their colleagues think that they are gods of war just by being in theatre. Concerned for their own safety and disappointed, they leave the Service...fcukwittery becomes the norm.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Indeed, however I do not recall Tabbing or stagging on, so I think I must have been spoilt too. I do recall Yomping into exercises/OPs, sorting watch lists, patrol programs and I think I remember getting wet once..... or maybe it was twice.^^

7. Each to his own opinion.
    I was in Australia for the ANZAC do in April the year before last.
    As the town I grew up in is still small most families still interact quite regularly.
    There are twelve serving servicemen from the borough at present, two in the RAN, three in the RAAF, and seven in the Army.
    None had the delusional perception of warfare in Afghan that Smith seems to describe, quite the contrary and three of the 40 killed from AF hailed from this locality. Quite a high percentage given the size of the place and of the 240 odd wounded two hail from within 20 miles another high number given the distances in Oz.
    Australians have always been unorthodox in their approach to life, I well remember the trouble I landed in when I first came here. It was as if there were rigid rules for everything and I hated the place. When I went back after the first twelve months here it was like being released from a lock up.
    Unless you have lived it you cannot in your wildest dreams understand how inhibited you English are in early life. It does not mean that the Antipodes churn out degenerates and unruly undisciplined citizens.
    Life's a point of view based on culture.
    Perhaps this story hides a hidden agenda, I mean if a dirty great "digger" had ridden your missus like sea biscuit then "Bruce"would be high on your hate list. ​

• Like Like x 1
  8. This ties in with the irritating trend of entitlement syndrome displayed recently. There is a lot of whining and foot stamping about not getting special treatment just because of the vocation they chose. "Why can't I have a discount? I've been to Afghanistan?" "You can't turn us away, we're serving our country." Etc, etc ad nauseam.

In a celebrity obsessed world, some servicemen are starting to think that's what they are and are diva'ing it up left right and centre.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blackrat

And the worse ones are those that have never heard a shot fired in anger. These are the ones that look on their Ops medals as a right to do what the hell they want. I respect any who answer the call and serve. I loath those that think the world owes them a favour because they do.

10. Boo-ya. There it is. I bet Noor Inayat Khan didn't demand everyone boycott Starbucks because she didn't get free biscotti for life.

11. Blackrat

I'm going to boycott Wetherspoons because i'm a war veteran and no-one stood up when i staggered in to buy cheap beer. I had my veterans badge and medals on but no-one batted an eyelid. I'm outraged.

12. So your not a hero or bronzed god of standing after all.
    You fuckin liar, I want all my "likes" back.

13. No mate. I just drank a lot of Canadian coffee and played Halo all day long.

Sorry.

14. Halo was far too rough for me - I just used to listen to stories of daring exploits and unimaginable dangers faced by old salts who had played it!!!