Aussie Occupational Health Study Report on 'O' Boats

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Redsailor, Apr 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting report on environmental and health hazards identified on Australian 'O' boats once you get past the usual OH&S technical jargon and advisor speak.
    Also some comparisons drawn with the Collins Class boats. Bit late now but where was all this expert H&S audit infomation when we really needed it lol? Like they are telling us stuff we already knew anyway.

http://www.dva.gov.au/adf/health_studies/oberon_submarine_report.pdf

Red Sailor

2. I think we`re all going to die!!!!! :dwarf:

3. Yeah, I read this when it first came out. While it has some good information I don't agree with some of what had been said. The complaint about inadequate medical records for example, may have been the case up to the mid 80s but by the time I was posted to a boat as Coxswain in 1988 I was required to keep a medical log and account for every pill and band aid I dished out. Whether the info I sent inboard ever made it to a sailors medical records is another story.
    And just being picky, the grot was actually in the control room, not the accommodation space, and the drawings in the report are inaccurate - Australian boats did not have a separate AMS and ACS. :p