Aung San Suu Kyi's election win

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Apr 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi's party has won a landslide victory in by-elections, local election officials have confirmed.
    With partial results announced, the National League for Democracy (NLD) won at least 40 of the 45 seats being contested.
    Ms Suu Kyi said she hoped the polls marked the start of a new era in Burma.

BBC News Asia.

I hope that this is the start of a new era for Burma as it's a county that I have always wanted to visit but have refused to do so as it would be virtually impossible to visit the country without supporting the military regime in some way.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. I find this wonderful news. I did some study on ASSK in the foundation course for my OU history stuff, and think she is an outstandingly strong and brave woman. Had to do a critical analysis so said that she should be a little bit younger and live in Devon or Cornwall.

Not sure about this 'Democracy' malarky mind you. Doesn't work anywhere else.
  3. While I am happy with the news from Burma,my happiness will be somewhat muted until we see what difference,if any,it will make.
  4. May take a while, but it's a step in the right direction/forward (delete as applicable)
  5. 'Call me Dave' doesn't waste much time for a photo opportunity.......... [​IMG]
  6. He must be sweating like the proverbial pink pig in that Primark suit but I digress, I hope that sanctions are eased and the country moves forward on that long road to democracy, I will wait a while yet before making my travel arrangements, not too long though as I ain't getting any younger.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. How can a man like Cameron appear besides a woman who has a tad of decency about her. She strives for democracy, and he, slimy git, denies the same thing to those who elected the turd. He is no different from the present rulers of Burma, a dictator in all but name.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Working on it I need free prescriptions, only available where e lives, as I don't fancy humping sheep
  9. Sheep! That's for wimps, a red deer is our choice of beast.

I could not agree more with your views on Cameron Squire.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  10. Is that the royal we?