AUGUST SHUT DOWN - where does it originate

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by beer_bosun, Aug 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know why the Navy "shuts down" for August?

Is it related to school holiday period? I.e. young people used to being off "school" for 6 weeks over the summer?
  2. Hey beer_bosun,

Now this is not an exact science cause i'm sure you know of many traditions within the RN/RNR that have no explanation whatsoever.

My guess is that training establishments have set leave for the recruits as although you may be a recruit you still need your leave. it would be imposible for training establishments to allow them to select their own leave.

Also as they are training establishments their primary role would be to train, with the recruits on leave there is no one to train so therefore it is wise to give the staff that are involved in the training of recruits the time off too.

Feel free to add your coments if you know more than me, which you prob do. :lol:
  3. 2 week shut down in aug dates back to the days when we still had a vibrant manufacturing industry in this country when basically the whole of the blue collar world ground to a halt and everyone went to the seaside.

as to why the RN has adopted this for training haven't got a frigating clue
  4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Since in those days when we had a vibrant manufacturing industry, we had a Navy that was updating its weapon systems and platforms or even, God forbid I should say these words in these parsimonious times, building new ships. There was therefore a need for the services to be able to contact industry. The August shut-down dates back to these long ago times.
  5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Bugger - stuttering fingers meant I posted twice what I oooonly mmmmeannnt to ssssayyy once!
  6. well there you go, you learn somethiny new every day. Ahh the days where old matelots say were the best hey. i wouldnt ming going back to those times. it would be good to see what it was like on board. :roll: