Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auction of Estate of Captain Eric M 'Winkle' Brown

Bad CO

Admin
I'm sure everyone knows who Capt 'Winkle' Brown is - if not then read this thread!

We've been contacted by Denham's auction house to let us know that there will be an auction of his personal effects on 6 July 2016. Full press release:

AUCTION OF ESTATE of Captain Eric M 'Winkle' Brown CBE DSC AFC RN - one of the greatest aviators in history - at Denham’s Auctioneers & Valuers in Horsham on July 6th 2016 at 10am.
  • MOST DECORATED pilot in the history of the Royal Navy died March 2016
  • WORLD RECORD for the most aircraft carrier deck takeoffs and landings
  • WORLD RECORD for flying the greatest number of different types of aircraft 487.
  • SURVIVED 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941
  • AUCTION to include ties & caps, certificates of merit, presentation silverware/glassware/ceramics/plaques & models, a collection of his personal library and signed presentation books, personal sea trunk, group photographs.
PUBLIC VIEWING Friday 1st, Saturday 2nd, Monday 4th, Tuesday 5th July at Denham’s, Dorking Road, Warnham,West Sussex, RH12 3RZ, UK

ONLINE VIEWING full photographed from 18:00pm on Wednesday 29th June at www.denhams.com
winkle2.jpg winkle1.jpg
In a lot of ways I feel that this is a bit sad that his NOK don't want to keep these things but I assume they must have a pressing need for the cash. Hopefully an aviation museum, such as at Yeovilton, will end up with most of the items.

I'm sure everyone knows who Capt 'Winkle' Brown is - if not then read this thread!

We've been contacted by Denham's auction house to let us know that there will be an auction of his personal effects on 6 July 2016. Full press release:

AUCTION OF ESTATE of Captain Eric M 'Winkle' Brown CBE DSC AFC RN - one of the greatest aviators in history - at Denham’s Auctioneers & Valuers in Horsham on July 6th 2016 at 10am.
  • MOST DECORATED pilot in the history of the Royal Navy died March 2016
  • WORLD RECORD for the most aircraft carrier deck takeoffs and landings
  • WORLD RECORD for flying the greatest number of different types of aircraft 487.
  • SURVIVED 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941
  • AUCTION to include ties & caps, certificates of merit, presentation silverware/glassware/ceramics/plaques & models, a collection of his personal library and signed presentation books, personal sea trunk, group photographs.
PUBLIC VIEWING Friday 1st, Saturday 2nd, Monday 4th, Tuesday 5th July at Denham’s, Dorking Road, Warnham,West Sussex, RH12 3RZ, UK

ONLINE VIEWING full photographed from 18:00pm on Wednesday 29th June at www.denhams.com
View attachment 19122 View attachment 19123
In a lot of ways I feel that this is a bit sad that his NOK don't want to keep these things but I assume they must have a pressing need for the cash. Hopefully an aviation museum, such as at Yeovilton, will end up with most of the items.
Was thinking exactly the same thing. Reference Your last few lines.

G

guestm

Its not much is it? Seeing as he is who he is.

He probably amassed a whole shitload of stuff over the years. I'd wager there is a lot of actual meaningful things that have been kept.

This looks like the stuff we all end up with cluttering our loft after a few years service, and we're no Eric Browns.

Last edited by a moderator:

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
He probably amassed a whole shitload of stuff over the years. I'd wager there is a lot of actual meaningful stuff that has been kept.

This looks like the stuff we all end up with cluttering our loft after a few years service, and we're no Eric Browns.

It was the comment
In a lot of ways I feel that this is a bit sad that his NOK don't want to keep these things but I assume they must have a pressing need for the cash. .
about needing the cash and I thought 'They won't get very much for that'.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
The 'how to become a naval officer' book is utterly superb.

I used to have a copy until I lent it to a cad who never gave it back. It includes advice (and I quote pretty much verbatim here) on 'what to do when being chased round the deck by a Nip' (whistle apparently), the phrase 'women expect you to light their cigarettes - bless em' and other such beauties. Well worth getting hold of!

The 'how to become a naval officer' book is utterly superb.

I used to have a copy until I lent it to a cad who never gave it back. It includes advice (and I quote pretty much verbatim here) on 'what to do when being chased round the deck by a Nip' (whistle apparently), the phrase 'women expect you to light their cigarettes - bless em' and other such beauties. Well worth getting hold of!
Did it have the bit.' Learn something of association football. When the occasion arises,it will give You something to talk to the chaps about'...:rolleyes:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Third Woodland Carbon Guarantee auction now open for applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Capacity Market auction parameters: letter from BEIS to National Grid ESO, July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Capacity Market auction determination: letter from BEIS to National Grid ESO, June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS eAlert: 27 May 2020 - Additional Woodland Carbon Guarantee auction information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £10m to boost tree planting in second auction of Woodland Carbon Guarantee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Capacity Market auction parameters: open letter from BEIS to National Grid, February 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Capacity Market auction determination: open letter from BEIS to National Grid, December 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS eAlert: 4 December 2019 - Woodland Carbon Guarantee auction dates MoD News 0
Joint_Force_Harrier Royal Navy Pen - Charity Auction Charity 32
MoD_RSS Capacity Market auction parameters: letter from BEIS to National Grid ESO, July 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Capacity Market auction determination: letter from BEIS to National Grid ESO, June 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Charity art auction for Mind West Cumbria MoD News 0
witsend Auction - Haynes Manuals Charity 54
Mongke's_Fist Auction - Battle Lines by Andy McNab Charity 27
Mongke's_Fist The Red Sailor - auction for the Royal Navy and Royal Marines charity The Book Club 37
soleil Pompey News: "HMS Victory Hero’s Medal Is To Be Sold At Auction" History 1
2_deck_dash Genuine SAS/SBS/STC sunglasses - H4H auction - not to be missed. Charity 18
2_deck_dash Cruel Sea model ship up for auction H4H. Charity 11
soleil Middle Temple HMS Alliance Appeal Dinner and Charity Auction Submariners 0
2_deck_dash H4H Auction. Time Machine! Can also be used to remove hair. Charity 32
K640 'Bottled ghosts' sold in New Zealand auction The Quarterdeck 6
2_deck_dash H4H Auction. A pair of Purdey's. Ends midday 12/3/10. Charity 25
soleil "Last surviving Trafalgar flag may fetch £15,000 at auction" History 8
soleil "Chocks away! This is an auction that will take off" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil H4H Auction Lunch with Minty and Cast Signed Albert Sq sign Charity 0
Montigny_La_Palisse Hols 4 Heroes auction - Tour of Purdey gun factory Charity 6
soleil 1813 Naval General Service medal at auction at Spink History 2
slim Duchess of eBay: Camilla does her shopping on auction site Diamond Lil's 6
Montigny_La_Palisse Holidays 4 Heroes Auction - Awesome .338 cufflinks Diamond Lil's 10
Montigny_La_Palisse Holidays 4 Heroes - Horsa's offspring auction Charity 0
W Holidays4Heroes Auction - Navy bear up for grabs Diamond Lil's 1
chockhead819 Auction for Liberty Lodge Charity 0
BusterQuin Arsenal 'Poppy Shirts' up for auction Charity 0
rockape34 Royal Marine Crystal Engraving (2008 RBL auction) Charity 2
J Auction site for the British Armed forces - ForcesBid Current Affairs 4
chockhead819 BFBS Auction Charity 0
sgtpepperband Navy gear going, going, gone on auction website Current Affairs 32
E Help For Heroes Charity Golf Auction Charity 4
wet_blobby RBL Auction Site Issues 0
wet_blobby RBL Auction Site Issues 1
wet_blobby RBL Auction over on ARRSE Charity 1
B COMBAT STRESS T-SHIRTS- Auction......... Charity 5
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence Police clamp down on illegal activity and keep the training estate safe in the south east MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Juliet Davenport OBE appointed to The Crown Estate Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Robin Budenberg, CBE re-appointed as Chair of The Crown Estate Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Court orders disqualification of estate agent cartel director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Estate agent directors disqualified for roles in illegal cartel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land at VIP trading estate and industrial estate, Anchor and Hope Lane, London SE7 7TE (ref: 3233585 – 3 June 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus precautions on the Defence Training Estate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Further expansion of prison estate to protect NHS MoD News 0