Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Auction of Estate of Captain Eric M 'Winkle' Brown

Bad CO

Admin
I'm sure everyone knows who Capt 'Winkle' Brown is - if not then read this thread!

We've been contacted by Denham's auction house to let us know that there will be an auction of his personal effects on 6 July 2016. Full press release:

AUCTION OF ESTATE of Captain Eric M 'Winkle' Brown CBE DSC AFC RN - one of the greatest aviators in history - at Denham’s Auctioneers & Valuers in Horsham on July 6th 2016 at 10am.
  • MOST DECORATED pilot in the history of the Royal Navy died March 2016
  • WORLD RECORD for the most aircraft carrier deck takeoffs and landings
  • WORLD RECORD for flying the greatest number of different types of aircraft 487.
  • SURVIVED 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941
  • AUCTION to include ties & caps, certificates of merit, presentation silverware/glassware/ceramics/plaques & models, a collection of his personal library and signed presentation books, personal sea trunk, group photographs.
PUBLIC VIEWING Friday 1st, Saturday 2nd, Monday 4th, Tuesday 5th July at Denham’s, Dorking Road, Warnham,West Sussex, RH12 3RZ, UK

ONLINE VIEWING full photographed from 18:00pm on Wednesday 29th June at www.denhams.com
winkle2.jpg winkle1.jpg
In a lot of ways I feel that this is a bit sad that his NOK don't want to keep these things but I assume they must have a pressing need for the cash. Hopefully an aviation museum, such as at Yeovilton, will end up with most of the items.

I'm sure everyone knows who Capt 'Winkle' Brown is - if not then read this thread!

We've been contacted by Denham's auction house to let us know that there will be an auction of his personal effects on 6 July 2016. Full press release:

AUCTION OF ESTATE of Captain Eric M 'Winkle' Brown CBE DSC AFC RN - one of the greatest aviators in history - at Denham’s Auctioneers & Valuers in Horsham on July 6th 2016 at 10am.
  • MOST DECORATED pilot in the history of the Royal Navy died March 2016
  • WORLD RECORD for the most aircraft carrier deck takeoffs and landings
  • WORLD RECORD for flying the greatest number of different types of aircraft 487.
  • SURVIVED 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941
  • AUCTION to include ties & caps, certificates of merit, presentation silverware/glassware/ceramics/plaques & models, a collection of his personal library and signed presentation books, personal sea trunk, group photographs.
PUBLIC VIEWING Friday 1st, Saturday 2nd, Monday 4th, Tuesday 5th July at Denham’s, Dorking Road, Warnham,West Sussex, RH12 3RZ, UK

ONLINE VIEWING full photographed from 18:00pm on Wednesday 29th June at www.denhams.com
View attachment 19122 View attachment 19123
In a lot of ways I feel that this is a bit sad that his NOK don't want to keep these things but I assume they must have a pressing need for the cash. Hopefully an aviation museum, such as at Yeovilton, will end up with most of the items.
Was thinking exactly the same thing. Reference Your last few lines.

Its not much is it? Seeing as he is who he is.

He probably amassed a whole shitload of stuff over the years. I'd wager there is a lot of actual meaningful things that have been kept.

This looks like the stuff we all end up with cluttering our loft after a few years service, and we're no Eric Browns.

Last edited by a moderator:
He probably amassed a whole shitload of stuff over the years. I'd wager there is a lot of actual meaningful stuff that has been kept.

This looks like the stuff we all end up with cluttering our loft after a few years service, and we're no Eric Browns.

It was the comment
In a lot of ways I feel that this is a bit sad that his NOK don't want to keep these things but I assume they must have a pressing need for the cash. .
about needing the cash and I thought 'They won't get very much for that'.

The 'how to become a naval officer' book is utterly superb.

I used to have a copy until I lent it to a cad who never gave it back. It includes advice (and I quote pretty much verbatim here) on 'what to do when being chased round the deck by a Nip' (whistle apparently), the phrase 'women expect you to light their cigarettes - bless em' and other such beauties. Well worth getting hold of!

The 'how to become a naval officer' book is utterly superb.

I used to have a copy until I lent it to a cad who never gave it back. It includes advice (and I quote pretty much verbatim here) on 'what to do when being chased round the deck by a Nip' (whistle apparently), the phrase 'women expect you to light their cigarettes - bless em' and other such beauties. Well worth getting hold of!
Did it have the bit.' Learn something of association football. When the occasion arises,it will give You something to talk to the chaps about'...:rolleyes:

Latest Threads