Attitude towards gay service men & women

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by danman, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm seriously considering applying to join the navy, got an appointment at the recruitment office next week. I know they'll be able to answer all of my questions there, but I don't want to walk in there, announce I'm gay and make myself look like a twat.

Just want to know what attitudes are like?

I can take being the subject of some (or a lot) jokes from people around me - not a problem. But is there likely to be much serious abuse that I'll have to take?

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Rug muncher or Marmite miner?

3. You will find its how you do your job and relate to your shipmates that determines how you get on. If you don't make an issue of it no one else will. ( Yes, there will be piss taking)

4. Hi, I'm a straight guy, are there any other straight guys out there who would like to contact me........ etc etc etc

Why oh why must they always make an announcement. OK, you are gay, just get on with it FFS.

Ad my advice, keep schtum!

5. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Do you walk into the pub "pint of lager/glass of wine please, I'm gay, will that be a problem?". Yes you will look like a twat just like you sound like a twat! :knob:

6. Goog good. Not known for screaming it from rooftops in any case.

7. And before you start, a Sonar Bender is a submariner WEA (or whatever they are called today) that repairs the sonar, not what you might have been thinking!!!

8. I`m Gay, will that be a problem?
    Only if you make it one, as you appear to be doing.

9. I think what they're trying to tell you here is that (almost) no-one will care as long as you don't make an issue of it. If you flamboyantly mince everywhere and add frills to your uniform's cuffs then people will most likely give you a hard time of it! Just act like everyone else, but obviously you'll be sifting through the underage/very old guys for a decent pull in the local, rather than girls ;)

10. It would have been an issue years ago but these days it's more acceptable in society.

Not my cup of tea, still prefer big tits myself, (on a female I may add), but it takes all sorts.

As long as you can do the job and not let your sexuality get in the way either in or out of work, you'll be fine.

11. haha we wouldn't want any misunderstandings now would we eh?! :D

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't believe a word he says! Hes just used & abused and can't take on any more newbies. :D

13. (In a butch voice) No, we certainly would not!

14. Luckily enough butch voice or not, I don't have to worry!

15. Wait until Thing or Sussex2 wake up and start in on this thread! Then be afraid, be VERY afraid!

16. And why's that eh...?!! :lol:

17. Which assumes that anyone is making an announcement, but it becomes blindingly obvious the first time $partner is referred to by gender, or pitches up at something or other.

18. I think they might be (shhhhh) G - A - Y!!!

19. Or even a gaye.

[​IMG]

20. :D Who told you that, repairs sonar, my, no your arris. 8O 8O 8O

Nutty