Attitude towards gay service men & women

danman

I'm seriously considering applying to join the navy, got an appointment at the recruitment office next week. I know they'll be able to answer all of my questions there, but I don't want to walk in there, announce I'm gay and make myself look like a twat.

Just want to know what attitudes are like?

I can take being the subject of some (or a lot) jokes from people around me - not a problem. But is there likely to be much serious abuse that I'll have to take?

Jack77

War Hero
You will find its how you do your job and relate to your shipmates that determines how you get on. If you don't make an issue of it no one else will. ( Yes, there will be piss taking)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Hi, I'm a straight guy, are there any other straight guys out there who would like to contact me........ etc etc etc

Why oh why must they always make an announcement. OK, you are gay, just get on with it FFS.

Ad my advice, keep schtum!

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Do you walk into the pub "pint of lager/glass of wine please, I'm gay, will that be a problem?". Yes you will look like a twat just like you sound like a twat! :knob:

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
And before you start, a Sonar Bender is a submariner WEA (or whatever they are called today) that repairs the sonar, not what you might have been thinking!!!

buggerit84

Lantern Swinger
I think what they're trying to tell you here is that (almost) no-one will care as long as you don't make an issue of it. If you flamboyantly mince everywhere and add frills to your uniform's cuffs then people will most likely give you a hard time of it! Just act like everyone else, but obviously you'll be sifting through the underage/very old guys for a decent pull in the local, rather than girls ;)

Waspie

War Hero
It would have been an issue years ago but these days it's more acceptable in society.

Not my cup of tea, still prefer big tits myself, (on a female I may add), but it takes all sorts.

As long as you can do the job and not let your sexuality get in the way either in or out of work, you'll be fine.

wannabefpilot87

Lantern Swinger
SONAR-BENDER said:
And before you start, a Sonar Bender is a submariner WEA (or whatever they are called today) that repairs the sonar, not what you might have been thinking!!!
haha we wouldn't want any misunderstandings now would we eh?! :D

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
SONAR-BENDER said:
Don't believe a word he says! Hes just used & abused and can't take on any more newbies. :D

War Hero
SONAR-BENDER said:
Why oh why must they always make an announcement. OK, you are gay, just get on with it FFS.
Which assumes that anyone is making an announcement, but it becomes blindingly obvious the first time $partner is referred to by gender, or pitches up at something or other.

SONAR-BENDER said:
:D Who told you that, repairs sonar, my, no your arris. 8O 8O 8O

Nutty

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Public attitude towards RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
E Attitude towards Direct entry Officers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
vauxhall Continuous Attitude Survey Finance & Pensions 0
S Attitude and Behaviour Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Herald (S): "Scientists Get £500K To Study How Toys Shape Children's Attitude To War" Current Affairs 6
angry_mac New job, new attitude? Bases / Shore Est 2
hackle First Tri-Service Continuous Attitude Survey published Current Affairs 5
Tas-ape CHANGES IN ATTITUDE Diamond Lil's 5
MoD_RSS Increasing ambition towards a climate-resilient, zero-carbon economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Continuing efforts towards peace in South Sudan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Support towards funeral expenses to rise from tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS End of coal power to be brought forward in drive towards net zero MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Bangladesh launch Climate Action towards COP26 and beyond MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HIV in the UK: towards zero HIV transmissions by 2030 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Liverpool engineers help African nations shift towards clean energy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GCA investigation into Co-operative Group Limited – progress towards following GCA recommendations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Urging North Korea towards complete denuclearisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The first step in moving towards peace in Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Moving towards viable peace in the Middle East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Europe welcomes steps towards peace in eastern Ukraine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Academy NW seminar: Working towards social inclusion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Global leaders convened towards an ambitious climate action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM accelerates towards greener travel with new £300 million investment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Survey on the UK’s first Voluntary National Review of progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Electric taxis exempt from higher tax rates as UK moves towards net zero MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Progress towards political, economic and security reforms in Somalia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Russia's aggressive tactics in the face of Ukraine's work towards peace and democracy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Progress towards peace in Colombia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK military flight training heads towards new heights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: NHS can move towards more coordinated and continuous care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Actions on Ocean Acidification – the Other CO2 Problem – Towards Realising Sustainable Development MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Steps towards peace in Yemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Water company to pay a record £975,000 towards environmental improvements following sewage spills on Dorset coast MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: HRH The Prince of Wales' keynote speech at The Commonwealth: Towards a common future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Progress towards Greater Manchester Local Industrial Strategy unveiled MoD News 0
K Does time served with FTRS count towards the 20/40 EDP time? Finance & Pensions 5
MoD_RSS Speech: Towards a basis for sustainable peace and stability in Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK and Germany work towards stronger defence relationship MoD News 0
WannabeAdmiral Do EPQs count towards UCAS points? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
J At what point will I study towards a HnC/HnD/Degree? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T Towards the Next Defence Review: Defence Committee publication Current Affairs 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Points earned towards DQs. Site Issues 6
MoD_RSS Speech: Burma making significant strides towards reform but challenges still remain MoD News 0
F Jet stream heading towards Scotland Current Affairs 14
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary sees progress towards transition in Helmand Current Affairs 0
BARNEYRNSM Does Service in the URNU/OTC/UAS go towards LSGC medals? SCC and URNU 13
NZ_Bootneck Turning towards being...... Diamond Lil's 11
Chicogiz Turning towards being a paratrooper The Corps 37
Seadog Ship Drifting Towards Gas Rig In North Sea Current Affairs 19
B Public attitudes towards security Current Affairs 38