Attitude and Behaviour

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Newbie14, May 6, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

What is the general attitude and behaviour of members of the Naval Service once they are established in their roles? E.g.: Past Phase I & II Training.

A big part of the reason I want to join up is that I'm fed up of the laziness and lack of responsibility that people have in civvy street. I've had the day from hell at work today and to spare you the details it's all boiled down to a colleague looking after himself and not working as part of the team, slacking in his role and taking breaks and chatting when he should have been working. I'm constantly picking up after other people, correcting mechanical faults on machines which should have been picked up by other technicians had they been doing their jobs properly. This particular member of staff actually got sacked the other month for bringing drugs onto the premises but appealed and got his job back.. shocking.

In short, are people generally better human beings in the military and are slackers actually picked up and treated accordingly because at the moment it seems like if you slack off in life you get rewarded for it.

...And breathe.. :eek:fftheair:

2. The RN is just like real life. You're in for a shock if you think otherwise.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You get slackers in the military, just like in civvy street. It's no different really. What is different is the comradeship, opportunities and the crack you'll have.

Posted from Hell using Lucifer's mobile.

• Like Like x 2
  4. There is an ever perpetuated myth that everyone in the Armed Forces is hard working, trustworthy and timely. It is just that, myth. It's no different to any other large scale employer. In fact in some respects it might even be worse. In most roles, as a civvy you have to justify your employment daily. In the Forces? Not so much, existing to some people is justification enough to draw their wage. Work is an embuggerance and they'll take a shit report every year as long as that wage keeps coming in.

The difference is that these people are made almost insignificant by the core of really, really good people we possess. Whereas civvys are just intrinsically throbbing.

5. What he said ^ ^ ^
    The greatest shock to me when I left the mob was to work in an environment littered with "to do eventually" files. The first few months were the most frustrating, not to say bewildering,​months of my life. Luckily I was just biding my time before "going back to school".

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  6. Cheers guys, good reality check..

I just wish people would do what they are supposed to, life would be so much less of an arse ache..

7. 'specially after a good bust in the WIndies if a few heads are turned.

*only joking Mr Jurno if you're around*

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Agreed. Although civvies aren't great at playing "Freckles" or "Naked Breakfast Club". "Onanism Thursdays" are often frowned upon in the staff canteen, too... :oops:

9. Every day is Onanism day in the mob...:jerk::rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

One thing that always amused me in the mob is that there will always be those who try to dodge work at all costs, moan like hell when given a task, come up with multiple reasons not to do it, then take an inordinate amount of time to complete it. If the small-brained individual spent the same effort doing the job as trying to dodge or defer it, they would invariably have it cracked in a flash and have more free time to themselves. The same individuals seem to take pride in their "superior" intellect and years of experience being a three badge duffer who never quite grasped the concept that you get paid more for less graft if you go for promotion.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Yes!

Those are exactly some of the kind of people I work with now in my workshop, I keep being given workloads from other departments because I crack on and do it, I'm at work anyway, why not put me on the urgent work? Some would refuse on principle. But this individual ponces about having fags breaks every half hour so his work's been pilling up. When muggins here gets asked to help out, he tries to get me in the brown stuff because I've upset his little mind somehow.

Those people who constantly slag off their company should use that new invention called a door..

Rant over ;)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

12. There's always one or two in any workplace out here isn't there, trouble is people who actually work get shafted with all of the jobs they can't be arsed with. When I was supervisor I was quite hard on people, annoys me my current one isn't haha. For some reason even though we are meant to rotate I have been left to do baby and toddler literacy and singing sessions every week for the last 6 months. I kind of enjoy it but 100 children to entertain every thursday when other people who are trained just cant be bovvered is annoying; i have mentioned it in my review but 'well no one else is keen- cancel the session shall we'. No, do your job and get the people who are also trained to do their share, its a job not a jolly, do what needs to be done. Wahhhh.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Know the feeling well. I used to end-up doing this anyway as a Chief Stoker and Departmental Co-ordinator.

• Like Like x 9
  14. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Think I might be a tad pissed off if my sprogs were being left with untrained personnel in such vast numbers.

15. We are all trained and it is split into groups, not 100 at once that would lead to some kind of meltdown. There is one member of staff who isn't fully trained so that wouldn't be expected- but it is in the job description, thorough training has been given and people occassionally do it when they can be arsed so they are capable. Parents are required to remain on the premises so it is not sole responsibility, more trying to keep them from some sort of baby/toddler uprising including tantrums, boredom squealing and such other horrors. delivering sessions all day becomes tedious when its every week and you have to spend a lot of time outside of work learning new rhymes etc so its not the same every week. Especially when others are able to opt out as they please.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  16. Think what I miss about being a "manager" in the mob and being a "manager" in a civvy envirionment is getting someone to do a job. In the mob you tell someone to do something and it gets done or else they get trooped - OK I understand that there is a degree of "why?" creeping in however where I am now I have to justify it to the nth degree - get it passed by several committee's - re write the damn thing about 6 times - go through the "why", "why should I" & "can't be a*sed" mentality so its quicker to just get on and do it yourself! There no such thing as trooping someone ... its all got to be done nicely nicely other wise you might upset the dear little darlings and go off long term sick with "stress" - certainly can't give a proper "Naval bollocking" and to actually fire someone for capability issues takes about 18 months! When I left the mob it was probably the one thing I found the most difficult to deal with - the general feeling of apathy and the amount of work shy loafing gits - but thats the NHS for you!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Being self employed makes it easy - if you don't work you don't get paid, best motivator ever and you can have a go at dodging that cnut the taxman.

18. I came across a few three badge **** alls who liked to call no badge killicks "Christmas tree hookies".
    Generally they were actually three badge, useless **** alls who tried to give the impression that they had a compendious knowledge of QRs and all things pusser. They often attributed their lowly status to not "selling out". They fooled very few, most of us knew why they had failed to advance.
    One thing I will give them, though, they were usually expert and prodigious piss artists.