Attempt to find out how the Italian Naval Ship - Sirena Sunk

Discussion in 'History' started by Gundulph, May 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if there are any budding historians of WWII Axis ships sunk in the Med, in particular close to the Libyan Coast. I have heard two accounts that the Sirena was either sunk by Swordfish Aircraft in 1942 50 miles West of Benghazi, or by HM Submarine Thunderbolt in 1941 10 miles North of Benghazi...

Any ideas?

2. Re: Attempt to find out how the Italian Naval Ship - Sirena

Do you mean the submarine or the merchant vessel? I guess the merchant vessel since the sub was scuttled 9th September 1943 in La Spezia harbour.

I found a report that claims a mixture of both of your reports.

7 Sep, 1941
    HMS Thunderbolt (Lt.Cdr. C.B. Crouch, DSO, RN) torpedoes and sinks the Italian merchant Sirena (974 GRT) about 50 miles west of Benghasi, Libya.

There are actually quite a few references to this information. I can't find any relating to a torpedo bomber.

3. Re: Attempt to find out how the Italian Naval Ship - Sirena

Cheers TimeToJoinUp it is indeed the Merchant Vessel... do you have any online links to the references?

4. Re: Attempt to find out how the Italian Naval Ship - Sirena

29/06/40 Italian submarine SIRENA was damaged by aircraft of RAF 230 Squadron off Tobruk.

http://www.naval-history.net/xDKWW2-4006-19JUN04.htm
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/9/1943 Sirena T.V. Vittorio Savarese A Scuttled in the port of La Spezia ....not sure if this is the Boat

http://www.regiamarina.net/subs/lost/sub_lost_all_us.asp

----------------------------------------------------

From Google Search

5. Submarine Sirena's fate

My father was a helmsman aboard the submarine Sirena. He and a small crew scuttled her on 9 September, 1943 in the water at the submarine base in La Spezia. The Germans shot the skipper for this act.
    RC

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  6. Yes, you are correct. I was the helmsman aboard Sirena. We were damaged by aircraft, British, I think, but I don't know if it was off of Tobruk. The batteries were damaged by impact and the salt water caused a spill of Cloro into the air. Our arial was damaged too, as I remember. We got back into port, and were ordered to scuttle her on 9 Sept. I have lived in Canada since 1948.