Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

ATC Tower

Racer01

Hey all,
I've been doing research on a potential ATC career and I've been coming across a lot of comments stating that they spend a lot of time in "secret rooms" and down in radar rooms. However on the official RN YouTube channel, all ACT content shows people up in the tower. So are my chances of being in tower just down to luck or do I have to work my way up through the process? Or am I bound to a radar room for deployments?

Thanks in advance.

Hey all,
I've been doing research on a potential ATC career and I've been coming across a lot of comments stating that they spend a lot of time in "secret rooms" and down in radar rooms. However on the official RN YouTube channel, all ACT content shows people up in the tower. So are my chances of being in tower just down to luck or do I have to work my way up through the process? Or am I bound to a radar room for deployments?

Thanks in advance.
Question for you! Where do you expect aircraft to be controlled from. A nice bar in the Bahama's perchance?

Seriously, I assume you are looking at Air Traffic Control Officer? If so, then much time will be spent in the VCP, Visual Control Point controlling aircraft within visual sight of the 'tower'. If controlling aircraft on radar, then yes you will be down the hole in the radar room. No secret rooms - super secret hidden holes. Although I imagine they are very different from 30 years ago. Sitting over fresnel displays. Computers would feature greatly in the modern control room.

It's a very intense role with the safety of all in the air under your control very much in your hands.

Hey all,

Thanks in advance.
Say again over?
What special ops do you think you will be involved in?? If you’re going ATCO, as @Waspie stated, you’ll be tower bound or deployed on a CVS. You could ask for MAOT, but hardly any James Bond stuff.
If you’re joining as an AC, it’ll be any ship, constantly at sea. When you you’re not deployed, you’ll get stuck in towers again. Then you’ll get a call saying can you deploy again.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great job. But, not for a family man/woman/transgender or whatever now.

Basically, no secret squirrel shit.

Enjoy.

Latest Threads