At your RT test what is the pass rate?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jr306, Aug 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello guys,

I have my RT training coming up and was curious about the expected pass rate? I am hoping to go in as a logistics officer any information would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What do you mean, how many pass the Recruit Test for Logistics Officer or you are about to join BRNC as a Logistics Officer and wonder how many pass training?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sorry I mean the psychometric test what is the pass rate for that. I am basically at that stage at the moment

Thanks

4. Ninja_Stoker

About 50% of Officer applicants pass the recruiting test in my AFCO, but it does vary.

To give you an example, this week in my AFCO, of three potential officer applicants, two with a degree...only one scored high enough for Officer. Both graduates scored less than 50% correct. For Officer, you technically only need score 51% correct.

On the other side of the coin, the AIB will probably do away with the Recruiting Test - the logic being that Officer candidates undergo a psychometric test at AIB. Presumably the idea is that in future, people will take longer and cost more to achieve failure. :)

5. JCT

JCT Badgeman

What exactly is the point of the MC element remaining in the Officer RT?

Edit: I've figured it out. Presumably it's so that if you fail AIB/Sift, you have options open to you.

6. Thankyou is that 50% overall or for each section?

I also have a degree in law mine isn't until September! So have about a month to prepare I spoke to the careers officer and they said I don't need to prepare or revise! But I know maths isn't my strongest point and I really want to pass first time to get the process running

Thanks

7. Ninja_Stoker

Although Officers take the full test, there is no longer a pass/fail score in the Mechanical Comprehension section of the test for Officers.

This means that potential Air Engineer, Marine Engineer, Weapons Engineer or Royal Marines Officer candidates who fail Officer selection are highly likely to have to re-sit the Recruiting Test to join as an Engineering Technician rating or Royal Marines Other Rank if they didn't reach the Mechanical Comprehension scores required by Ratings/Other Ranks when they initially applied as an Officer.

Makes sense, dunnit? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

You need to score about 70% correct in the first three sections of the test, with nothing required in the mechanical comprehension section (Hence the 51% all-up score).

If anyone fails to revise & practice against the clock, they are preparing to fail, frankly.

Those in further education tend to be looking at more advanced levels of reasoning, literacy & numeracy - they forget how to do the basics if they don't brush-up.

Geographically the pass mark can vary widely, but definitely practice or you may well regret it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah I think so. I get really nervous for examinations the whole dear of the unknown especially because there is not a lot of time

Thanks

10. So you need to achieve 70% over the first 3 all together or 70% on each individual section?

Thanks for your help really appreciated. Just don't want to slow down the process and want to get started as soon as possible. I am currently training to be a lawyer in London and am due to qualify in feb 2015. But have decided to take a gamble and have a go at being a logistics officer or even a commando of all else fails. I'm 25 and I think this would be an amazing opportunity.

Thanks again

11. JCT

JCT Badgeman

Both. You need to score 63 out of 90 in the recruiting test. It used to be 78 out of 120, but as of January, the Mechanical Comprehension mark is no longer a factor in Officer Selection. You could theoretically score 0/30 on Mechanical Comprehension and still pass, however if as you say you would like to be a Commando, then you would need more than 0/30 so it makes sense to give each section your best effort giving you the widest choice of jobs possible.

12. Ninja_Stoker

You need to be aiming to score over 70% in each of the first three sections.

I rather think that going for Royal Marines Commando "if all else fails" isn't quite aligned with the ethos "It's a State of Mind".:)

If Royal Marines aren't your primary objective, then statistically the odds are against the individual making the grade.

13. Ok thanks for your information really helpful :)

14. Thanks I have been split between two roles as a logistics officer and commando! I would be really happy with either :)