AT during leave?

MJ171717

Midshipman
Hi all,

Just wondering how likely it is that a Rating can be sent on AT during a base’s summer leave period (Specifically Raleigh) during training?

Looking to get to see a bit of the cricket this summer whilst on leave,but read somewhere that sometimes recruits can be sent on AT during their leave?

pompeyexpat

War Hero
A point here; if you're on AT you cannot be on leave. AT is classed as duty.

I've never known anyone 'sent' on AT while on leave anywhere, let alone during training.

Subaru9

Midshipman
Yeah trainees dont really get put on AT, as soon as you pass out of phase 2 you can apply for it, but itll depend when theres spots open

Merman

Midshipman
Cricket is not AT. Unless you are doing a course in cricket. For it to Be classed as AT you have to gain some sort of qualification.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Cricket is not AT. Unless you are doing a course in cricket. For it to Be classed as AT you have to gain some sort of qualification.

You’re right Cricket isn’t AT, but as representative sport you’d still be duty therefore not on leave.

But AT doesn’t have to attract a qualification to be counted as AT. A multi-activity week at NOCG gives no awards but is very definitely AT.

There are criteria that have to be met for it to be classified as AT iaw the JSP, but the award of a qualification isn’t one of them.

Merman

Midshipman
Agreed, sitting watching cricket isn't anything .

They stopped recognising ski trips now as its not AT.

Polto

War Hero
Somebody from our office went on a Ski trip last month. It was classed as AT. He's an RN ski instructor.

Merman

Midshipman
I mean ski trips where you just do your own thing, more ski holiday. There has to be some sort of training benifit is what I was getting at earlier it just didn't come across right. As long as youre Making some sort of progression in that area /sport then it's fine.

Representative sport, again as said above you have to be classed as on duty for insurance purposes. You have to actually take part though.

Either way at raleigh it's doubtful.

MJ171717

Midshipman
Thanks for the advice everyone,I read somewhere that you can sometimes be sent on AT during leave,was just trying to figure out whether a ticket to an Ashes game this summer would be a good investment.

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
If you want to buy a ticket for a sports fixture whilst you are on leave then feel free to do so.
Do not try and claim the ticket price back claiming it as AT as it isn't.
As already mentioned you have to be participating in an activity and you will also be classed as on duty whilst involved in AT activities. The club swingers will be able to help with those activities.

I do know that there are course available for cricket as some of one of my previous units have been involved in them

MJ171717

Midshipman
If you want to buy a ticket for a sports fixture whilst you are on leave then feel free to do so.
Do not try and claim the ticket price back claiming it as AT as it isn't.
As already mentioned you have to be participating in an activity and you will also be classed as on duty whilst involved in AT activities. The club swingers will be able to help with those activities.

I do know that there are course available for cricket as some of one of my previous units have been involved in them
Thanks for the reply,I worked out that I’ll be on leave when the Ashes are on,but had also read somewhere that you can sometimes be sent on AT during leave... (Cleared up by the responses above as you can’t)

Therefore didn’t want to spend a few hundred quid on tickets to then be told I need to get some AT in during that time!