At a loss - please help... looking for Navy personal in Norfolk...

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by JamesWGM, Jun 7, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. Sorry to post here, but not sure where else to ask... who can I contact to find someone currently in the RN or FAA to come to my father's funeral in Naval uniform to give my mother his hat after the ceremony?

I tried the MOD and they said try the British Legion. The BA are kindly sending two standard bearers, but I'm not even sure they are ex navy. I've tried the RNA, who can supply a coffin union Jack... I've tried the local Sea Cadets but it's next Thursday (12th of June, 12.15 pm) so most of them will be in school, or at work... I've had some luck with the Cambridge RN reserves, but they only have two serving navy staff who are being sent on detachment the day of the funeral, so can't attend. They are trying Norwich recruitment office, but who knows?

All I want is someone in a Uniform who can represent the Navy to present my father's hat to my mother so she (herself was in the QARNNS) can get closure as she's (just been diagnosed with dementia and is) convinced someone from the Admiralty will be there...

I know this is a big ask, but does anyone know anyone who is (perhaps) on leave in East Anglia - near King's Lynn, who could spare an hour to help give a naval widow closure?

Unfortunately, my father retired (Commander) 25 years ago or so, and although he still has friends who are living, they are all too old or infirm and they can't make the trip.
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

James - my condolences for your loss.

I would ask over at PPRUNE and specifically see if anyone from RAF MARHAM or nearby may be available (there could be some exchange billets with RAF stations in the region).

Failing that, I would suggest ringing HMS PRESIDENT which is the RN regional HQ for London and the South East - they may have someone spare, as they have a large catchment area of people to draw on.

Sorry I cant be of more help.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry to hear of your loss.

My advice is contact your Naval Regional Officer (NRO), via your nearest AFCO (link in signature, below).

By coincidence, in a different region, I'm attending a funeral in this capacity, in rig, for an AB Gunner, a WW2 veteran, on Tuesday together with the NRO (a Commodore) & a Killick.

It is a common courtesy. The only thing I'd add is that there used to be about 870,000 people in the RN, RM & WRNS, there's about 3% of that now so there aren't always people available, but we try our best.

4. I have have sent you a PM

Edit: can a Mod please email James and ask him to check his account? Have some info, but it could be time critical.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014