Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know it's been done a million times, but I had asthma years ago, last treated over 4 years ago.

My question is mainly aimed at angry doc, because I can't find anything on google or the RN website.

What is the required peak flow score to be declared medically fit for the RN?

I am a 6 ft 18 year old, male......this is not a lonely hearts ad I'm afraid ;)

2. I'm unsure of the peak flow score requirement, but i suffered from Asthma as a child and i've just taken my medical and scored 700 on the test. I've been clear of using an inhaler for 6 years (even longer than this) and it took the ME two minutes to confirm this with my GP before passing me fit. If you've been clear of symptoms for more than 4 years then you should be fine. IMO.

3. cheers, that gives me some peace of mind, I'm really nervous that something is going to go wrong in the medical, probably because it's the only aspect of selection that I don't really have control over lol

4. I had asthma as a child. I had to do a 28 day peak flow chart following my medical - my best score was about 500, lowest about 400 and I passed.

5. Last treated over 4 years ago and no ongoing problems means there shouldn't be any issues.

Your predicted peak flow depends on your height - yours should be around 650-700 if your lungs are completely normal now, but anything over 600 is probably ok.

Good luck.

6. cheers doc, got my medical tomorrow so fingers crossed I will be fine :D

7. well I had my medical, but I've been told that I have to get a form signed by my GP and fill in a 28 day peak flow diary before I can do my PJFT and interview.

A bit disappointed that its delaying my application by a month, but it's not the end of the world and it was half expected

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The clock starts when you pass the recruiting test, so it's unlikely a 28 day pause will delay your entry date providing you pass all elements of selection.

Best of luck.

9. ah right, well I did my RT last summer so I don't know what bearing this will have on my entry date providing I''m medically fit

Cheers Ninja

10. Ninja_Stoker

If there was a pause in the application, the clock starts ticking from when the applicant moves forward to the next stage.

11. Has anyone failed a medical due to having Prednisolone steroids at a young age?
    I passed everything, did the 28 day peak flow then failed ad I had steroids twice at age 6 and 8
    Once was for a cold, chesty cough and the other for asthma
    I am appealing but this is my dream and everything I have worked for lost....
    Will ' angry doc ' get to see this post.....
    Thanks everyone .......

12. History repeating itself. I recall ailments featured here being used in the 60's to get out of the navy. They were applying in droves. Many succeeded, others had to buy themselves out. Back pain was the "working your ticket" preferred route. Very difficult to diagnose. Sleeping with your knees up is one sign that doctors look for. Quite a kerfuffle in RNH Hong Kong in the late 50's when SBA's on night duty had to check on the many back pain "sufferers" with their knees up or not. Drip Chits there were many that the known effeminate Sick Bay Tiffies had interfered with them as they slept.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
  13. Ninja_Stoker

The medical standards for entry regarding asthma are here, specifically paragraph 4D-05: http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/148207/

As stated elsewhere the medical standards are non-negotiable unfortunately.

If you want to alert someone by username just put an @ in front of the username, like this: @Ed12