Asthma

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by slickbcfc, Jan 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had asthma till the age of about 4-5 ish i never really used inhalers but i cannot get this put down to a misdiagnosis for some reason...does this completely bar me from aircrew? im 19 incase you need to know that

Thanks

2. What do you mean by, "I never really used inhalers"?

3. Although you need to still pass the medical, the RN policy is if you've had no treatment for Asthma for 4 years you're considered clear.
    15 years should just about do it.
    Good luck with your application.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The standards for aircrew are understandably more stringent than most other trades. You may well have problems if you have ANY history of migraine or asthma unfortunately.

In any event, the AFCO medical examiner is the person to give you definitive advice.

5. I've read about several people who got through with out a problem (I know is should take these things with a pinch of salt) but I assume to a certain extent it's looked at on a case by case basis?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It is indeed. Those who have no history of asthma or migraine can join as aircrew providing they meet all other eligibility and selection criteria.

7. I have some potential medical issues, and after doing a great deal of research I found the best way to see is to just have a go and let the doctors decide :)